Carb Settings for 1990 WR 650 LX?

I want to set it back to "stock" so I can start tuning it with a clean sheet. If someone has the service manual could you please let me know what the high and low settings should be?

Thanks.

John

will get back to you this evening with exact #s ...

there is a mikuni book that you need for the sbn carbs
    http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_manual.pdf

its got settings spec's and pictures...
    also read this thread RX951 condenses it all pretty well
    (650 carb and 500 sbn setting should be real close if not spot on.. I use the 650 carb on the 500's)

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...t=idle+setting
    Last edited by w/rpm500; 08-16-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks. I actually downloaded that the other day. I was hoping someone here with the service manual could give me the settings that this particular ski's carb should be set to. I know I will still need to fool with it as per the Mikuni manual but I just want to get a decent baseline to start from. I don't know what the previous owner may have messed with on the car and I want to get a push in the right direction.

John

sorry I didnt get back sooner .. one book says 3/4 low 7/8 high.. dont trust it,. i didnt... the other says 3/4 to 1-1/2 low and 3/4 to 1-1/2 high.. that was more realistic and safer to me .. go to the high side and turn em in, in 1/8 steps watching your tach ( get one if you dont have one) target to hold at aprox 1300 rpm's idle then follow the mikuni book or the second link i posted its pretty clear... your over heating could be you have run this to lean.. what oil ratio are you running .. I split hairs and run at 40 to 1 on the 500's... your best bet is to water test after each step in adjustment and keep a written record on what you do on each adjustment as you will be adjusting a bit before you get the ideal...

Thanks so much for the detailed info. I have been mixing it at 40:1 with the same synthetic Polaris brand oil that I use in my SL650. My overheat that I mentioned in my other thread was caused by a blockage in the cooling water intake hose. I'll set it up to the richer of the settings you've given me and then I'll go from there. It runs pretty well right now but it does seem a touch lean at idle. Any suggestions on a tach that is reasonably priced and will survive in a marine environment? Do you leave it installed all the time or just when you are tuning the ski?

John

you can buy a basic TINY tach cheaply, new, on ebay....I'D buy two and have one on each, mount em' permanently as they are a good indicator of how your ski runs .. if the tach shows a significant loss ,you know that somethings up and needs a look at...

OR

buy a PET 2000dx , it is more expensive but has better features.. do a search on tachs and you will find info to help you decide

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up a couple of those "Tiny Tachs", one for each ski.

John

Thread Information