+1

Logs can kill...

Beach Travel: Logs Are the New Jellyfish in South Africa

Where: South Africa
    8/15/2008 at 11:04 AM
    Tags: Beaches, Dangerous Travel (all tags)

If you're planning to have a picnic this weekend off the coast of South Africa, just watch out for the dead trees. A freight carrier off the shores of the Cape Coast lost hundreds of huge tropical hardwood logs, and they've begun to wash ashore. This is particularly noteworthy if you're planning to take a boat or jet ski out for a spin this weekend.
    The local safety authority estimates that there are between 200 and 300 of the logs floating around. A salvage company has been contracted to find them and get them out of the area, but so far it's been a challenge. Although the logs are upwards of 30 feet in length and weigh up to 20 tons, they're apparently not the easiest things to find. If one washes up next to your beach umbrella, do call the Maritime Safety Authority and let 'em
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2008/8/15/702/69551/travel/Beach+Travel:+Logs+Are+the+New+Jellyfish+in+South+ Africa

Yeah I know that title was kinda funny, but it is true. Ive had a few run ins with full on trees and thier root balls, which can be about 10 feet plus across in the northwest. I'm sure you all have your stories of the 'thud' or the tree coming down stream or churning in the surf. When you walk a coast beach after a storm and see all those trees, pieces, logs, thrown up on shore...it was in the ocean once....trying to get to shore...

Speaking of floating logs.....LOTO (Lake of The Ozarks) is really nothing more than 90 miles in length x 1200 miles of shore line of damned up river and every spring March-April-May (and actually anytime a BIG rainfall occurs) there is dead wood floating in the lake anywhere from small branch size to full size tree (logs), especially at my end of the lake where it is narrower and shallower and the Osage river via Truman dam and the other contributory streams spill in........................ It's bad enough when you hear a "thud" as your boat hits an unseen log, let alone what could happen if you hit the same log on a pwc (wot or not). I just don't take the ski out during these times.... I see so many pwc out there and not just crusin' but wot......... AND so much small small driftwood that it did take out one of the pwc's in my area due to sucking it into the impeller/pump. Even going down to the deeper wider end towards Bagnal dam during these times of rain floating logs still pose a risk..............and the boats are tres faster at that end..... the logs, just like ice bergs you can only see (if you are lucky) the top most part. A least from a boat you can see the "trails" left in place by all of the floating debris and slow down and avoid them....pwc you don't have that advantage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooah_Killer View Post
    Speaking of floating logs.....LOTO (Lake of The Ozarks) is really nothing more than 90 miles in length x 1200 miles of shore line of damned up river and every spring March-April-May (and actually anytime a BIG rainfall occurs) there is dead wood floating in the lake anywhere from small branch size to full size tree (logs), especially at my end of the lake where it is narrower and shallower and the Osage river via Truman dam and the other contributory streams spill in........................ It's bad enough when you hear a "thud" as your boat hits an unseen log, let alone what could happen if you hit the same log on a pwc (wot or not). I just don't take the ski out during these times.... I see so many pwc out there and not just crusin' but wot......... AND so much small small driftwood that it did take out one of the pwc's in my area due to sucking it into the impeller/pump. Even going down to the deeper wider end towards Bagnal dam during these times of rain floating logs still pose a risk..............and the boats are tres faster at that end..... the logs, just like ice bergs you can only see (if you are lucky) the top most part. A least from a boat you can see the "trails" left in place by all of the floating debris and slow down and avoid them....pwc you don't have that advantage.

I think the biggest lake in Jersey is about 6 square miles! Your lake takes up most of my state

+1
    You should always be on the look out for floating logs aka Dead Heads, we had a BIG one about 3 ft wide 15ft long floating in are bay A dozen or more boats hit it so the coast guard came and removed it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    I think the biggest lake in Jersey is about 6 square miles! Your lake takes up most of my state
    Here in ontario we have more lakes then we know what to do with

yes from dam to dam it is ninety miles in length from inlet at truman dam to outlet at bagnal dam

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701513951...he_ozarks.html you may need to zoom twice as it runs from warsaw to osage beach mo

the average shore to shore width at my end (i am at lakeview heights...built by the kc mob and harry truman) is 300yds and an average depth at full basin of 10ft to 3/4 mile wide and 100ft deep at bagnal end

my end is called the redneck end-kansas city end and the bagnal end is the rich end-st louis end......the rich end is where allllllllll the rich have their 5 mil mansions (Budweiser family, Brad Pitt, to name few) as well as lake front homes in the 200G-400G level as well..... and their boats.... 40-50 ft yachts (maybe for offshore or great lakes not a damned up river),they have eliminators, bajas, donzis and so forth; my end pontoons, fish and bass boats, smaller sport boats. both ends have a plethora of pwc. my end has nice glass to small chop waters, the other end on the weekends due to all the traffic and large boats the water can approach offshore whitecaps..........

they do have dam to dam pwc runs and poker runs.......... they also have the annual lake shootout http://www.lakeoftheozarksshootout.org/index.html last year a stock kawi took the top pwc speed spot hooah! finally dan okeefe didnt win!! they also have: http://www.toadcove.com/powerboat_racing.aspx

last year LOTO hosted the sea ray aquapalooza signature event..........

and of course the infamous party cove http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_Cove

and per this thread every spring LOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Hooah_Killer; 04-07-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling and left out items

Thread Information