Boy, 12, still recovering after June accident at Smith Mountain Lake
By Mollie Halpern
Published: August 15, 2008
A young boy is still recovering after an accident at Smith Mountain Lake nearly two months ago.
Police said Carl Grove was on a personal watercraft towing his 12-year-old son, Hunter, on a knee board back on June 28th.
They said Grove drove too close to a dock, causing his son to hit his head on it.
Grove says he was in such shock that he couldn’t call 911 - his wife and other children did it for him.
“At the time I thought we had lost Hunter ... I thought he was going to die. It was very, very hard,” Grove said.
Hunter was taken to Roanoke Memorial Hospital, where he was in a coma for more than a week.
Since then, he has been transferred to Kluge Children’s Hospital in Charlottesville.
Hunter has damage to the left side of his brain and the right side of his body is paralyzed. He is undergoing occupational, physical and speech therapy, and he spoke Thursday for the first time since the accident.
“It was very limited, but the speech therapist was asking him to count, and he was able to count to three,” Carl Grove said. “It sounds insignificant, but it’s a tremendous milestone.”
Doctors don’t yet know Hunter’s prognosis.
Hunter’s family hopes he’ll make a full recovery so one day he can fulfill his dream of becoming a doctor.
A benefit will be held tomorrow from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Brambleton Avenue Advance Auto Partsin Roanoke.
All proceeds will go to the family.

The father must be losing his mind, this has got to be in the top rated horrors of being a parent, my heart goes out to all of them, as I am sure everyone who reads this post will be touched..