Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

riva valve train upgrade help!

i compressed the spring before pressurizing the cylinder. now i cant pressurize the cylinder. also the spring wont return all the way up over the retainging cotter. do i need to turn the motor or something?

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vduzin12 View Post
    i compressed the spring before pressurizing the cylinder. now i cant pressurize the cylinder. also the spring wont return all the way up over the retainging cotter. do i need to turn the motor or something?
    Have you tried backing off the tool and then presurizing the cylinder?
    I did this once myself during the upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Have you tried backing off the tool and then presurizing the cylinder?
    I did this once myself during the upgrade
    i did back the tool off but the spring did not return to its full height and the cotter was still exposed

well i got it to partially pressureize but air is still leaking out. does that mean the valve is not seated all the way. also this is on the intake side if it matters

OK just checking here, the cotter is seat in its spot and the spark plugs are out of the other two cylinders?

My next try would be to pressurize another cylinder to rotate teh crankshaft then move back to the cylinder you are working on.

i tried another cylinder but the air is leaking out. just to make sure i understand, the reason for pressurizing the cylinder is so the valve wont go down?

Quote Originally Posted by vduzin12 View Post
    i tried another cylinder but the air is leaking out. just to make sure i understand, the reason for pressurizing the cylinder is so the valve wont go down?
    Yep. keeps the valve from falling into the cylinder when the spring isn't attached to the valestem.

if you dont have the intake manifold off. Take it off and use a long nose pliers to try pull the stem valve all the way up to close it. do not damage the valve stem.

ok so i figured out my original problem but now there is one valve that will not stay up when i compress it. it goes down as i compress the spring even with the cylinder pressurized

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Give the end of the valve stem a whack with a mallet while attempting to pressurize the cylinder... nothing so hard as to cause damage, but with enough force to break the tension between valve stem, keepers, and retainer.

Start with a light tap and then try turning the tool. If you hear air escaping, back the tool off and give it a little harder tap and try the tool again. Keep increasing the amount of force of the tap and then try the tool after each attempt... repeat until you hear it snap loose.
    Last edited by 05Limited; 08-16-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information