Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PTO cylinder hotter then front cylinder

I am rebuilding my first seadoo. Guy gave me it and said PTO cylinder hot and temp light came on.

I have checked lines and rebuilt carb. Starts now and the right rear pisser is cool and the left rear is warm.

The PTO cylinder is hotter then the front (much warmer to the touch)Its even much hotter at the exhaust manifold on the PTO side.
    But the light isn't going on while I have it on blocks. I want to take out and test, but would like some input on whether this is normal.

Is it normal for the PTO cylinder to be hotter then the front?

Thanks.

+1
    Run it in the water,when on trailer you are going backwards in the cooling system.

If the reason its hot is a clog somewhere in the coolant area in the engine, will swapping the head cure, or are there small passages in the lower block that could get blocked as well?

If it is the head, is there something I can soak in to clean out, such as muriatic acid or ??? (I am sure muratic is too strong) even radiator cleaner?

SOmeone has to have had problems like this. Please fill me in.

what year and model ski are you working on?

Have you tried to richen up the fuel mixture? (maybe its running lean)

the issue I had with my ski not very long ago, I had an air leak, and it was causing my rear cylinder to run very lean and hot. I finally had to pressurize the intake and I was able to find the leak. was a threaded bolt
    hole on the side of the block. a little sealant and a bolt and my ski is running sweet now.

I seen where the filter in the carb gets plugged and the cylinder will run lean (and run very hot) same as a faulty intake gasket (leaking air) under the carb.

just some in sight! good luck!

Its a 92 GTX.

I think I figured out but can't get the screw on the rotary case off. How do you get the lower front screw off?

Or is there another way to pull the carbs.. I think its the oil pump but I can't get at to change to premix.

any ideas?

I just used a wrench to get the bolts off while it is in the machine.
    You can take the carbs off with a 13mm wrench it takes a bit of work but it can be done.
    If you are going to use premix you shouldn't have to remove any of this just disconnect the oil line to the injection pump and plug it, make sure you keep oil in the tank to lubricate the rotary gear in the middle of the crankshaft.

Thanks. I needed you about 4 hours ago. I finally got it off and took apart the carb and the rotary cover to get the bearing out and put a cover on it. I never would have seen it but one of the oil lines basically fell off in my hand. It appears to go to the rotary valve so it should be feeding both cylinders, right? It was the one on the PTO side that wouldn't have been causing my problem would it?

Coolant appears to be circulating fine, both pissers spray and it appears to come out the rear fine, but I haven't water tested yet.

I have 110 psi compression on both cylinders, I will have to try richen the carbs.

Should I do both the low and high speed to fix ?

what exactly did you do after you got it off.
    was the hose that fell off a very small, and short one, did it go in the engine block, or in the oil pump
    Last edited by b93xp; 08-17-2008 at 09:12 PM.

Master of the Dooniverse
    any of those old skis should have the painted oil lines change for some nice soft clean ones. i don't know why they painted those lines....dumb move, they all crakc all to hell and the paint chips make a mess.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeprunnr View Post
    Thanks. I needed you about 4 hours ago. I finally got it off and took apart the carb and the rotary cover to get the bearing out and put a cover on it. I never would have seen it but one of the oil lines basically fell off in my hand. It appears to go to the rotary valve so it should be feeding both cylinders, right? It was the one on the PTO side that wouldn't have been causing my problem would it?

Coolant appears to be circulating fine, both pissers spray and it appears to come out the rear fine, but I haven't water tested yet.

I have 110 psi compression on both cylinders, I will have to try richen the carbs.

Should I do both the low and high speed to fix ?
    You say the PTO side is hot and the oil line feeding the pto side was loose and fell off in your hand?????? I think there's a connection there... I would suggest re-connecting the oil line and keep the injector system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information