Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CDI Failing???

Question CDI Failing???

93 GTX 587cc

--Water Worx help me adjust the carbs on one of my Skis...works great! A very big thank you!!! Got another issue on this ski!

The ski will start sometimes, run like normal and then sometimes it won't fire at all. Was actually ridding last weekend @ WOT, went into a hard right turn and it stalled. Couldn't get it to fire, sat there for like 30 minutes! Fired right up and made it back to the dock fine, everything normal. Took it home...checked the spark the next day and no fire! Replaced the ignition coil in the gray electrical box...same issue! Does this crap every now and then. Any thoughts on what could cause this? What might be failing? P.S. I've checked both the kill switch and lanyard switch, both passed the Ohmeter tests! I'm stumpped here...so any info or thoughts would help!

Check all the ground connections and connectors. Look for any wires trying to back out. Wires sometimes will push out when plugging in connectors. Fuses can act wierd too if there's any corrosion around the tabs or inside the holders.

I wished it was that simple. I've checked and re-checked all wire connectors, fuses, everything. It's good. Just went outside, messed with it some more...fired right up! Twice!

Have you tried cutting off a little bit from the high tension leads? I had a stand-up that dropped a cylinder because the lead pulled out just enough from the spark plug cap but it didn't leave the cap. In fact, the internal wiring was worn right out...there were only a few strands left. I cut them back, re-did the zip-ties and never had a problem afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    Have you tried cutting off a little bit from the high tension leads? I had a stand-up that dropped a cylinder because the lead pulled out just enough from the spark plug cap but it didn't leave the cap. In fact, the internal wiring was worn right out...there were only a few strands left. I cut them back, re-did the zip-ties and never had a problem afterwards.
    Funny you should say that...the ignition coil is brand new, OEM from Seadoo. I reused the NGK Plug Boots! I was under the assumtion they "twist" on and off. Could that be a problem???

They should screw on I would think. They do on my '96 XP800. The caps could be an issue too though...I know the hard plastic caps have built in resistors and they are known for failure. I don't understand the point to resistor caps really when they produce resistor plugs

Well...it still don't explain why there's spark at both cylinders sometimes and sometimes not. Both cylinders are affected...either spark is present at both cylinders or it missing at both. Either it runs fantastic...or it won't start! How about a shorted, or shorting lanyard switch???

Hmmm...that could be as well. I have heard that the lanyards can wear out. I think what happens with them is that the little steel band inside wears enough to make contact here and there with the center of where you plug it on. I also think at some point or another someone told me that inside the black part of the lanyard is a resistor which is how they are able to program them to the ski. The program just tells the MPEM what resistance frequency to accept in order to energize the system.

Master of the Dooniverse
    he doesn't have DESS on a 93.

both plugs fire every 180º, it's called a wasted spark system. you either have nothing or both. you can't have just one......unless one if strong and one is weak anyhow.

could be an issue with the lighting coil in the stator assembly.

If this is a salt water boat check for rigid spots in the wireing. Salt water gets in the wire and changes the copper into a rigid brittle wire that can break in the line and cause intermetten problems

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information