Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

stage 1 kit not performing as expected

Ok, i have a 2001 GP1200R with 70 hrs on it. i just completed my stage 1 kit for it and it says i should be hitting 68mph. i am still only hitting about 59mph on the dreamometer, although the dreamo isnt giving me good results. the skis performance is 100% better all around. But could i be going faster than my speedo really says? i sure hope i am. all that money for nothing would be a waste

+1
    What is a stage 1? and what did you expect from it? you need to know what you were doing before doing anything else. Get a Tach and a GPS otherwise you are spinning your wheels. Stage kits worked best for the marketing dept. that dreamed up the name. Read the forum every speed trick known to man on a GPR is posted here. and we tell you how and what to use for free
    Last edited by OsideBill; 08-16-2008 at 05:06 PM.

the stage 1 kit includes riva 150psi cylinder head, riva ride plate and intake grate, D-plate and chip and a 13/19 solas impeller.

+1
    so no carb upgrades for this kit? How was your ski running before? the dreamometer does not help, I can get mine to change speeds with a can of wd-40. if you are truly serious about getting more out your ski you need to know its baseline. seeing that you spent a wad of cash sounds like you are. get yourself the tools so you know what changed when you installed something.

+1
    With those mods, I would not think you could go over 66-67. I don't think the stock plate gives you jack. Send it to Jim, you will see a real difference in top speed.
    But like OSB said, your wasting your time until you get a tac and GPS.

ok. where can i get a tach, and how much are they? and how much will it be for me to send it to jim?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksako270 View Post
    ok. where can i get a tach, and how much are they? and how much will it be for me to send it to jim?
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=308

I would do a compression check also just to make sure.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksako270 View Post
    On a tach, you get what you pay for.You can get a tiny tach for less than $50.00. A good Pet tach will set you back at least $200.00. These can by bought from Jerry's store.
    The plate guy is Jims Performance. He is in Florida and does wonders with these plates. I think you can also buy is services through the store. Do a search and some reading on tacks and on Jim.

With a little more work and money, you can make that thing run 70+ all day long. You will have to get into this the carbs to go this fast.

ok. i had a feeliing that i would have to get into some better carbs. I am pretty mechanically inclined since i work on my jeep alot, but ive never done any kind of carb work in my life. Im only 20yrs old, so carbs were kinda before my time lol. but anyways i guess thats what i need to work on next. any suggestions? how hard is it to get them off the ski, it looks pretty confusing, even with the stinger off.

+1
    Tiny Tach is a great way to start and won't hurt the pocket book too much. you have the beginnings of going fast now we can help steer you in the right direction. knowing your rpm's is a must for tuning then these numbers corealated with some GPS speed numbers tells what is going on with your ski. once you get some data we will talk about your carbs and flame arrestors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information