modify blown motor rxp or not

if i want to build a fast rxp, should i start with a blown motor rxp for $2500 or would i be better off starting with a more expensive running one.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    would depend on what you mean by blown if a major rebuild is needed it will be very costly but if just needs pistons/rebore not so bad so with out stripping/assessing/costing first its hard to say.
    The factory only offers 1 oversize piston

+1
    If you were building a car engine, I'd definitely say go with the blown one, since you replace all the broken stuff with higher quality pieces anyway. However, on these 4-tec's, you don't need higher quality engine components unless you're planning on going over 90 mph. The most popular way of going fast on these is boost, boost, and more boost, and the stock engine will make plenty of power at 20 psi.

Mike

How blown are you talking?

If it has a ventilation hole in the block you will be better off getting the running rxp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lurker_ View Post
    How blown are you talking?

If it has a ventilation hole in the block you will be better off getting the running rxp.
    No kidding there, Allot can go wrong with a blown motor that can ruin the block or crank

+1
    Will a stock 4-tec take 20 psi of boost?? thats a lot.. Im sceptical about even upgrading my s/c impellar as i dont wanna reduce the life of my motor too much..

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    If you were building a car engine, I'd definitely say go with the blown one, since you replace all the broken stuff with higher quality pieces anyway. However, on these 4-tec's, you don't need higher quality engine components unless you're planning on going over 90 mph. The most popular way of going fast on these is boost, boost, and more boost, and the stock engine will make plenty of power at 20 psi.

Mike

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    Will a stock 4-tec take 20 psi of boost?? thats a lot.. Im sceptical about even upgrading my s/c impellar as i dont wanna reduce the life of my motor too much..
    The 215hp 4-tecs are built to handle 350hp.(So are the N/As and 185 hos except for the cast pistons). Inspite of what many accuse about Sea Doo these engines are rock solid.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    The 215hp 4-tecs are built to handle 350hp.(So are the N/As and 185 hos except for the cast pistons). Inspite of what many accuse about Sea Doo these engines are rock solid.
    i've blown 2

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by monaroman76 View Post
    I've heard of 22-24 psi on the stock long block, on pump gas even. The limiting factor is a) the stock plastic intake blowing apart then, b) piston damage due to "rock" at rpm's higher than stock, which doesn't seem to be an issue below 8500.

Mike

+1
    Thanks for the info BRING ON THE BOOST.

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I've heard of 22-24 psi on the stock long block, on pump gas even. The limiting factor is a) the stock plastic intake blowing apart then, b) piston damage due to "rock" at rpm's higher than stock, which doesn't seem to be an issue below 8500.

Mike

Thread Information