Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Side Moulding Repair

The side moulding on my '07 Speedster is pulling loose in a couple of spots. How do I repair?

The same thing started happening to me over the last few weeks and I'm looking for a solution too. Today out at the lake it finally started coming off in a big way, from about the throttle lever all the way around the back. This stuff seems to pop off all of the time now and I've noticed in one area that the strip actually ripped out, not just popped. I also noticed that there was clear caulk/adhesive back there. I wonder if I can just caulk it back up... or if I need to replace the entire rub strip. My boat is a 2003 so it probably has a bit more wear on it.

3 ft. strip came out for the first time on my 05 sporster this weekend. Good question.

I managed to press the moulding back into place for a "quick fix". It sounds like we all are looking for a more permanent solution. I have 3M 5200 Fast Cure Marine Adhesive/Sealant, but would like to hear some feedback.

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar
    Maybe just some clear Marine epoxy would hold nicely

Just make sure the package says that it's for bonding rubber

What's the best way to epoxy/adhere/glue the strip now that I have it popped back in? I can pop it back out where it's been a problem or slide the entire strip out from the rear and back in. I'm guessing the former, but wondering how difficult it would be to slide back in.

Sorry to awaken a hibernating thread... but did anyone ever successfully try anything to fix this? I think I'm going to just epoxy it in and see what happens.

+1
    im havin the same problem around the swim platforum. Im going to find a better style rivit cause the factory style one's suck. Best fix is to use a sealer where the hulls are joined then rivit the rub rail back on.

In my case the rub strip insert won't say in the rub strip track (that's riveted). As far as I can see, the riveted part is holding ok.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ausgezeichnet7 View Post
    In my case the rub strip insert won't say in the rub strip track (that's riveted). As far as I can see, the riveted part is holding ok.
    Guess i have a diffrent problem. For your fix id try a marin grade silicone first. You want to be able to remove the rail insert if need be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information