Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Compatible Electronics ?

Hi There, I'm wondering if my complete ignition system from (95'spx650)would run my 97' XP 785 engine ? Possibly different timing curve ? Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance--Proflow

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I'm sure it's a differnt timing curve. The best ignition is a MSD 4255 Enhancer, coupled with a 96 MPEM and CDI. You can make the Enhancer stand-alone, but any lanyard will start it (no security).

MSD made an Enhancer for the 97 ignitions too if I remember right, but hey are few and far between and pricey.

The Enhancer allows you to have completely adjustable base timing, timing curve, begin retard, and rev limit.

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have two 97' 800 ignition systems complete-minus lanyard. One from an XP & one from a GSX, I believe this means I'll have to get an aftermarket lanyard & have the steeler program it. Unless there is a work around someone knows of. Thanks again--Proflow.

Does Crane make an ignition simular to the MSD ? Cranes stuff seems to be far less expensive. I do also have a 96' GSX 800 ignition system (in my lake runner) I could swap out for the 97' stuff & have it coded if the MSD module is less money for 96'. Anyone know ? Thanks--Proflow

Crane never made any PWC ignitions.

Here's the link for both the 96 and 97-
    http://www.msdpowersports.com/pwc_seadoo.html

96 xp stroked, coffmans pipe, r&d 61.8mph gps! merfturtle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    I'm sure it's a differnt timing curve. The best ignition is a MSD 4255 Enhancer, coupled with a 96 MPEM and CDI. You can make the Enhancer stand-alone, but any lanyard will start it (no security).

MSD made an Enhancer for the 97 ignitions too if I remember right, but hey are few and far between and pricey.

The Enhancer allows you to have completely adjustable base timing, timing curve, begin retard, and rev limit.

The msd enhancer can eliminate the mpem on a 96xp ignition? I see it can eliminate it on 97 spx.

Quote Originally Posted by merfturtle View Post
    The msd enhancer can eliminate the mpem on a 96xp ignition? I see it can eliminate it on 97 spx.
    MSD used to sell a bypass wiring kit for the 4255 Enhancer, because the 97 Enhancer was much more expensive. Then racers could use the 96 Enhancer in their 97 SPX and had no reason for for the DESS security. But no, it does not replace the MPEM if that answers your question. With the bypass kit it could eliminate it on a 96 too.

+1
    My 800 is running on a enhancer only,no MPEM,no dess,just the enhancer.

+1
    ok so heres my question, whats the best ignition setup? I have a 97 spx that i run, but just picked up a 96 xp for parts (motor stuck). I also have the MSD Enhancer sitting in a box here. should i put the msd in the electrical box out of the 96 or just stick to my 97 box and put it in this one ? is there any advantage to one or the other, or are the 800 iginitions all the same. I have the wiring for both the 96 and 97 box.

MSD Made a wiring harness for the enhancer to fit on the 97 models. part number 42551, cost me $30 from summit.

+1
    Enhanser on a stock ski is kinna worthless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information