Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

HELP, Blowed up my xl1200

I have a mostly stock xl 1200. Only mod is the d plate. Recently had carb issues at the begining of the summer, and had a guy I know rebuild them. The ski has been running good for the approximately 3 hours since. Was riding this ski at wide open when it suddenly lost power and stalled. As I was in the middle of nowhere, I tried to get it running again and it did start, however it sounded pretty rough and died again. we towed it back to a dock, and I pulled the plugs. The center plug had been smashed shut, and I pushed the starter to see if the pistons were free and they were stuck. I pulled the head off and I could see the top of the piston and the head were chewed up. the front and back pistons looked ok to me. I could also see some deep gouges in the front of the center piston. I am going to try to attach pictures but not sure how well gouges and piston will show up. My questions are: Anyone have an idea what happened? Powervalve issue, jetting, oil issue or something else? What is going to be involved in the rebuild, just piston and cylinder or possible crank too? Where can I purchase a cylinder and piston kit most reasonably, or does anyone have a good extra cylinder they want to sell? How difficult is this to rebuild, anyone near South Jersey (Cape May) that may be able to give me a hand if I am going to get in over my head? How quicly can I get this up and running again? I am handy, but not a motor builder. And I certainly don't want to rebuild it and have the same problem in another 3 hours. The headgaskets appear to be metal, do I reuse them? Help...

Having problems uploading photos. will try to post them as an edit or have my kid help me later.

Photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	342.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	89244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	343.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	89245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	344.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	89246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	345.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	89247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	354.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	89248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	356.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	89249  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	89250  

+1
    if it were jetting all three would be affected. I would check oil lines and PV first.

+1
    I hate to tell you this, but it looks like your crank may be gone. That's what it looks like when it lets loose and beats the spark plug to death with the piston. Even used parts are gonna be at least $1000.

I was hoping it wasn't, and am still hoping it's not the crank. The plug wasn't destroyed, the gap was just closed.

Oside. How do I tell if it was the powervalve, I did not notice ant damage to what I thought was the powervalve, would I see some scapes or bad metal on that? I meant maybe just one carb was screwed up since they were recently opened up.

I am going to try to take the jug off tomorrow and I guess I'll know more then. How do I know if the crank is bad, will it just be sloppy when I get the piston off? and if so, how much? The piston is still wedged in there or maybe it's debris in the lower end or something. Don't know yet.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bode1 View Post
    I was hoping it wasn't, and am still hoping it's not the crank. The plug wasn't destroyed, the gap was just closed.

Oside. How do I tell if it was the powervalve, I did not notice ant damage to what I thought was the powervalve, would I see some scapes or bad metal on that? I meant maybe just one carb was screwed up since they were recently opened up.

I am going to try to take the jug off tomorrow and I guess I'll know more then. How do I know if the crank is bad, will it just be sloppy when I get the piston off? and if so, how much? The piston is still wedged in there or maybe it's debris in the lower end or something. Don't know yet.

Thanks
    Post some pics when you pull the Jug and we can tell better then. If it is a crank you will definitely know it. The power valve drops and beats on the piston when they fail and show damage on the end of the valve.

+1
    crankshaft.

That is what mine looked like when the rod and piston decided to part ways...wristpin bearings everywhere, rod bent 90 degrees...absolute carnage! Crankshaft was trashed!

I didn't see any damage on the tip od the powervalve, the piston is down or almost all the way i guess I should see if the powervalve has any play.

I am sure it's probally the crank too, I've been having a run of really bad luck lately, so the case is probally cracked too. If that's the case I'll probally shoot for doing over the winter rather than a week or two.

What causes the crank to go? This ski only has around 65 hours on it.

PS thanks for the quick input everyone

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information