Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1

Ok, This CAN'T Be Normal For An SS Ring...

Ok, so today was the first day I took my Boat out since my 15/20R & SS Wear Ring install.

Boat ran perfect, only down .3mph from my previous Stock Impeller GPS Top Speed. Which surprised the hell outta me considering I'm down about 400rpm's as well.

But back to the problem. When I installed everything back in the Boat, it all went in perfectly fine. Nothing caught up on anything, it all went back together totally fine. The new Prop spun freely inside the Pump, didn't scrape anywhere on the Wear Ring at all.

Then I started the Boat, and noticed I could hear the Prop more. I asked about it, and people here said yes, you'll hear it more, more of the "rattle" sound and such. Which seemed fine to me.

Now when I came back from being out on the Boat, after I cleaned it off and everything, I grabbed my flashlight and shined it into the Nozzle to take a look and also from in through the Intake Grate. I could see things that didn't look good. So I pulled the Pump and this is what I found:

Yes, those are grooves carved into the Wear Ring, and the Prop is actually Bronzed a lil bit from I guess the Heat of it scraping on the Wear Ring? And there is actually a small Burr area on the ends of all 4 Flukes on the Prop.

Sooooo....What would cause this? The Prop spun totally free before I installed it, didn't scrape anywhere. I def. did not suck up anything on my ride, it is very clean where I ride. I did add the Solid Front Motor Mount, but I measured it beside the Stock one before I installed it, and they were exactly the same height.

Please help me with this as I am really pissed off right about now, because the Prop is prob. trashed now, and I'm gonna have a fun time getting out that damn Wear Ring considering I had to use a Press to get it in. Any advice on how to get that out too?

how are the bearings in the pump? in most cases we have run either double or triple bearing mod to stop prop shaft from deflecting under power.
    if you have the stock bearing still in there, check to see if you can move the shaft while spinning. you could prolly save the prop by sending it to Dave @Impros or GP at Skat for repair...
    the wear ring:
    get a green scotch brite pad, spray some bomb lube on it and polish the surface. you might also try wet/dry 320,400, 600 grit emery.

+1
    The Bearings in the Pump hopefully are fine, the Boat only has 8 Hours on it.

So this is "somewhat" normal then for this to happen? Or is there something def. outta whack?

Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    The Bearings in the Pump hopefully are fine, the Boat only has 8 Hours on it.

So this is "somewhat" normal then for this to happen? Or is there something def. outta whack?
    no not normal, I`ve logged lots of hours with SS wearring, never any prop touch down, sometimes just a burn mark from cavitation...

is the wear ring pressed in straight/square? there def is an alignment issue...
    being that the prop edgeds have worn and you explained they are burred over, you will have excess clearance to check to see if prop hits now.
    clearance should be .009-.014, just my opinion, I`ve had .09 with a skat ring with no issues...

IMHO, I would have left the plastic liner in there. you could purchase approx. 5-6 plastic wear rings to one SS. Yes SS wear rings will last forever, and they keep the tolerances in spec longer, but they are not rock/debris friendly, I know...

+1
    It's pressed in as square as I could get it when I installed it. I'll try to see if it is off by a little bit anywhere.

If I should go back to the Plastic Ring I'll do that. And the real kicker is that all this is from mayyybe driving the Boat for 45 Minutes.

I got no problem going back to Plastic, I NEVER suck anything up and never have. Like I said, it's really clean where I ride. I just went with the SS Ring for the Performance Gain and from seeing that the people running it loved it.

How should I go about attempting to get the SS Ring out? I know it's gonna be a Wrench Throwing P.I.T.A

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1

How should I go about attempting to get the SS Ring out? I know it's gonna be a Wrench Throwing P.I.T.A
    If its trashed... tack weld a stainless bar inside of it & push it out from the rear in a H frame press!

+1
    Since I have the Solid Front Mount in there, it had 2 Shims from the Factory. Should I take 1 out and see if that helps?

Would it hurt to run it for the rest of the Season like this? Since it already carved the grooves for itself, or is it just gonna get worse?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Since I have the Solid Front Mount in there, it had 2 Shims from the Factory. Should I take 1 out and see if that helps?
    Shims shouldn't matter... unless the new mount was not identical in height.

If you didn't get the bolts tight on that front mount the engine may have shifted and messed up your alignment.

I'd borrow or buy an engine alignment tool and see if that is all OK, then start looking at pump problems

+1
    Yea, the 2 Mounts were the same height, and the Bolts are def. tight on that Front Mount too.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information