Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Inexpensive Oil Options

What is everyone else using? I'd prefer to purchase in gallon size. Full synthetics? Anyone try Citgo TCW3 at $7 a gallon. I still have the oil injection on my ski's. They are used for weekend fun only.

Thanks
    Last edited by rickreeves1; 08-17-2008 at 06:49 PM.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    No need to run synthetic unless you're highly modified. Run the regular dino oil and save a few bucks. Just make sure it's TWC III rated and enjoy.

I do find it funny that you chose a Corvette for your avatar and want to be cheap on your engine's life blood.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickreeves1 View Post
    What is everyone else using? I'd prefer to purchase in gallon size. Full synthetics? Anyone try Citgo TCW3 at $7 a gallon. I still have the oil injection on my ski's. They are used for weekend fun only.

Thanks
    Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA). As such, it ultimately belongs to Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, an avowedly anti-American leader who counts Fidel Castro among his closest friend. I would not use this oil if it were given to me. I do not care how cheap this oil is. You are supporting Hugo Chávez and he hates the USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ver-usat_x.htm

Oil

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I do find it funny that you chose a Corvette for your avatar and want to be cheap on your engine's life blood.
    The car makes it to the track occasionally and only gets the good stuff. My last trans rebuild cost more than both skis and the trailer. The ski's are only run on the warmer months on Sundays in a small fresh water lake. Usually less than one hour run time a week. I don't think this use requires expensive oil or high octane gas.?

Quote Originally Posted by 800AMSOIL4U View Post
    Citgo is a subsidiary of Venezuela's state-owned oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. (PDVSA). As such, it ultimately belongs to Venezuelan President Hugo Chávez, an avowedly anti-American leader who counts Fidel Castro among his closest friend. I would not use this oil if it were given to me. I do not care how cheap this oil is. You are supporting Hugo Chávez and he hates the USA.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ver-usat_x.htm
    Thanks for the info I will stay away from Citgo.

Anyone else?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rickreeves1 View Post
    ...The ski's are only run on the warmer months on Sundays in a small fresh water lake. Usually less than one hour run time a week.

I don't think this use requires expensive oil or high octane gas...
    Polaris recommends 89 octane gasoline, especially if it has Ethanol or other additives. 87 octane only if is straight gasoline.

I try to avoid Ethanol in gasoline for marine use, especially if it is going to sit in the fuel tank for weeks.

If you are only running it for an hour each week, then you should consider using the better grades of gasoline, and avoiding Ethanol blended fuel.

Your machine sits so much of the time - an important function of the oil is to protect the engine internals from corrosion. Some 2-stroke oils do a better job of corrosion protection. Since you run it so little, the more expensive oils would not make a big change in your weekly running costs.

Do you fog the engine after each week's riding?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Polaris recommends 89 octane gasoline, especially if it has Ethanol or other additives. 87 octane only if is straight gasoline.

I try to avoid Ethanol in gasoline for marine use, especially if it is going to sit in the fuel tank for weeks.

If you are only running it for an hour each week, then you should consider using the better grades of gasoline, and avoiding Ethanol blended fuel.

Your machine sits so much of the time - an important function of the oil is to protect the engine internals from corrosion. Some 2-stroke oils do a better job of corrosion protection. Since you run it so little, the more expensive oils would not make a big change in your weekly running costs.

Do you fog the engine after each week's riding?
    No, the only time I use fogger is when winterizing. I just pull them on the beach and tie them up until next week. I'll have to check on the Ethanol in the local gas. I run the regualr octane now but I've tried 93 with no noticeable differance in how it ran.

What are some recomended oil brands I can buy local in gallon size? Price?

Last edited by rickreeves1; 08-18-2008 at 11:14 AM.

+1
    I use the Penzoil from Walmart. Usually just the dino oil, however I did pick up a gallon of the FS to try this time. Was less than $20 not sure exactly

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    I use the Penzoil from Walmart. Usually just the dino oil, however I did pick up a gallon of the FS to try this time. Was less than $20 not sure exactly
    I will take a look at this next time I'm in there.

Any opinions on Lucas semi synthetic oil? That's what I've been using for the past year or so. The store I get it from only has it in quart sizes and they are expensive. I found it online for $18 shipped.
    http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/Ma...U-10115.1.html

+1
    I agree with K447 here. The better synthetic oil would benefit your water crafts engine. If you compare the prices of all the synthetics you'll find Amsoil is very competitive and always considered one of the better synthetics you can buy.
    If you total the difference in Dino oil and Amsoil per year, I'll bet it's less than 50 bucks. Isn't your aging Polaris worth 50 bucks??
    If you're letting your watercraft sit with water in the exhaust system you really should be fogging that bad boy after the weekend.

Polaris Beater.

Ever heard the term "Pay me know or pay us later"
    I agree with ph2ocraft and K447, use the better oil and forget about working on it and ride that ski hassle free!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information