Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2002 Virage TXi intermittent stalling

I have a Virage TXi that will occasionally just stall out after it has been running for a while. The last time it did this, my son noticed that the Volts on the instrument panel dropped to 12 and then 9 and the Low Battery indicator came on and then the jet ski just died while we were in the middle of the lake. It would turn over but it wouldn't start. I towed it back in and had a new battery and I installed it and the ski started right up. I've been having this issue on and off over this riding season. The old battery was 3 years old and when I charged it up, the ski would start. I called the local dealer and he thought it might be the stator. I can't figure out why the ski would just die after it was started up and warm. Any ideas?

+1
    medley, WELCOME to the HULK!!!

Have you verified spark loss when it won't restart??

Thanks for responding. How do I verify spark loss when it won't restart? What problem do you think it might be (related to electrical or unrelated to electrical?).

+1
    Get an in-line spark tester and see if you lose spark.
    Here's a photo from Watcon.

Thanks for the picture. So what are the decision paths? If I get spark what would the next step be? If I don't get spark, what would the next step be?

New problem with 2002 Virage TXi

My old problem described in 2008 threads was resolved. I ultimately took the ski in to the Polaris dealer and they ultimately traced it to a $30 electric part (forget the name) that was preventing the battery from being recharged while running. Haven't had any reoccurances since the new part was installed.

I have a new problem. Here are the symptoms:
    1. I can start the ski right up and it runs fine for the first 5-10 minutes.
    2. After that, when I let my hand off the throttle to come to a stop, it will
    stall out.
    3. The ski will start right up and I can use it again but after a bit, it will
    stall again - again after letting off the throttle.
    4. Eventually, it will become harder and harder to start - the engine will
    crank, it just doesn't want to start. Also, after restarting the ski a few
    times, it will idle rough until it smooths out after a minute or so.
    5. So far, I haven't had to get towed in because I was able to get it started
    before I drained the battery but usually I'll just idle back in in order to not
    stall out the engine. By the time I get back, I can at least get the ski back
    onto the lift.
    6. No red light engine warning message comes on at any time other than low
    battery warning after I've been trying to restart the engine for a while.
    7. The next day, after recharging the battery, it will start up just fine and
    then it repeats the entire sequence from above.

Any ideas?

Also, I do have the capability to have the ski run sitting on the lift by sticking the back end into the water so it can sit there and run.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    A $30 part that corrects a battery charging problem on a Ficht engine? Wonder what that was?

My initial guess is that the TPS (Throttle Positions Sensor) is now failing.

The next time it is hard to start, unplug the three pin connector from the TPS (rear end of the throttle body). If it now starts and idles, then the TPS is bad.

Note: With the TPS disconnected, it will NOT respond to the throttle lever.

If unplugging the TPS doesn't help the start and idle, the TPS may still be bad.

I recommend installing a new or known good TPS. Even if the problem turns out to be something else, having a spare TPS on hand is a good thing.

Low injector voltage can cause similar hard start symptoms (bad EMM or stator). Connect a meter to the White/Red wires without unplugging any injectors. Red probe to White/Red wire, Black meter probe to engine ground.

Voltage should jump to over 20 volts when engine is cranking.

If the engine starts, voltage should jump again to over 40 volts, usually right around 45 volts.
    Last edited by K447; 08-14-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks for the updates. I'll check out the TPS and bring my meter down to the lake to check the voltage while cranking. To answer your above question on the $30 part that was fixed in 2008, I checked my records and noted it was the fuel pump circuit breaker. At the beginning of the 2010 season, my check engine light came on and I brought it in to the Polaris repair shop and they replaced a coil which cleared the check engine light and solved the problem.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to acquire the Polaris diagnostic software that I can load onto my laptop to diagnose check engine light and other error codes? What is the connection device from the laptop to the Polaris?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The links in my signature lead to a Ficht web page.

From there you can read the EMM Trouble Codes codes using a simple LED tool.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information