Overheating 650?

I took the ski (1990 WR 650 LX) out today for the second time and it ran flawlessly for a couple of hours. Then we took a break and my brother and I pulled it up onto the beach (I shut it down about 20 feet from shore, in 4 feet of water). After it sat for a couple of hours I pushed it back out into about 3 feet of water, started it up, rode for about 20 seconds, and then it went into limp mode. We looked inside the intake grate and its clear, then I unbolted the ride plate, it had some sand in it, we cleaned it out, and reinstalled it. I went out for a ride again but its doing the same thing. Is there some sort of screen or filter on the cooling water pickup that I need to clean out? I am having no luck with this thing so far. Please help!

John
    Last edited by atc250r; 08-17-2008 at 09:17 PM.

Marley Creek, MD
    Got water comming out of pee hole while running?

20 seconds to limp mode seems very fast, i would check the temp switch. Stick it in some water and see what temp the switch closes (don't know what temp that should be for your ski though). Should be able to run 20 seconds without any water going through it i would imagine.

I don't know about a filter... but i'd start looking for one.

I'd also blow all the lines out with some compressed air or similar, make sure they are open.

My $.02

Thanks. I should mention that it feels like it is genuinely overheating, the pipe and cylinders get really hot after running for just a minute or so. From looking at the parts look-up on Yamaha's site, the temp switch appears to be right between the two spark plugs on the head. Where is the "pee hole" supposed to be on this machine? Which lines should I blow out? I've got a ton of experience with cars, trucks, motorcycles, atv's, and just about anything else with wheels but I am such a NEWB when it comes to skis. I'm going to be up early tomorrow trying to fix this thing. I have to get it done by the weekend so we can take it on vacation with us. I've got two skis here and neither is good to go now.

John
    Last edited by atc250r; 08-17-2008 at 09:47 PM.

I seem to have got it. The hose is #19 in the attached picture was packed solid with sand:

That same hose also had a pin hole in it were it was chafed and worn through. I'm going to pop the rest of the hoses off of the engine and blow some air through them. I'm going to cut out the damaged part and install a brass union until the part comes in.

John

Cleaning out and repairing that hose did the trick. I'm slowly grasping the way these things work. Thanks to all of you here that helped me with my problems along the way. Now if I can just get this darn Polaris figured out I'll be good to go.

John

its good you found that .. its pretty common when you play in the shallows or on the beach......as i posted in the earlyer post you may also stiil be running lean... It's been my expreiance on the eary twins that you should be able to, if adjusted right ,hold your hand on the cylinder's intake side with out burning yourself.. the cylinder head will run hotter than the block by just a tad,with it being a little hotter between the cylinders and also on the exhaust side of the head).. your cast exhaust will run near the same ,if not a bit cooler ,depending on the inlet water temerature and the amount going thru...(fyi..a wr will idle for hours on cool water and you can touch any part with out fear of a burn,thou riding the crap out of it, will heat things up a bit..then you got to let it re-cool before you apply the skin test)

Thread Information