Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brand new Polaris owner

I have only rode a jet ski three times in my life once when I test drove the two 1995 SL750 that I bought 4 days ago and the last two days that I have been out enjoying them.. I just downloaded the manual for my Polaris ski's and it's pretty big and I havent went thru it all yet, but I still have a couple questions if you dont mind helping a real rookie ..

1.. I am worried about this towing the ski thing and the motor filling up with water because that seems to be a important issue and I havent found it just yet in the manual on how to pinch off that line to stop the flow of water..

2.. My fuel gauge does not seem to work on both ski's, I wonder if that a float issue in the tank or some thing the the electronic display. everything else in the display seems to work or should I even worry about it because I have a reserve mode on the fuel shut off..

3.. Is it hard to get the parts for a repair for this year of ski?

4... I also am a boat owner and I have a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on my boat and to get it ready for winter I normally just drain engine, fog cylinders and change the oils and I always run seafoam in my gas and that seems to do the trick.. I am just wondering how you get a jet ski ready for winter and is it ok to run seafoam in my ski's?

5.. I will say one thing I have been out the last couple of days for three hours straight both days and boy am I a little sore from those two days ..

6.. I paid $3800 for these two matching SL750's and a load right trailer what do you think good deal, I am happy as a clam but was wondering from the guys that know about this stuff if it was a good deal or not..

Sorry for so many questions for a first time poster but I know very little about these two SL750's I just purchased..Cya Slick PWC
    Last edited by Slick PWC; 08-18-2008 at 12:31 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post
    I have only rode a jet ski three times in my life once when I test drove the two 1995 SL750 that I bought 4 days ago and the last two days that I have been out enjoying them.. I just downloaded the manual for my Polaris ski's and it's pretty big and I havent went thru it all yet, but I still have a couple questions if you dont mind helping a real rookie ..

1.. I am worried about this towing the ski thing and the motor filling up with water because that seems to be a important issue and I havent found it just yet in the manual on how to pinch off that line to stop the flow of water..

I use hose pinch off pliers, quick and simple.

2.. My fuel gauge does not seem to work on both ski's, I wonder if that a float issue in the tank or some thing the the electronic display. everything else in the display seems to work or should I even worry about it because I have a reserve mode on the fuel shut off..

So you get no fuel reading? Does the LOW FUEL show on the MFD? If so replace the float.

3.. Is it hard to get the parts for a repair for this year of ski?
    New body parts are but there are plenty of used parts
    4... I also am a boat owner and I have a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on my boat and to get it ready for winter I normally just drain engine, fog cylinders and change the oils and I always run seafoam in my gas and that seems to do the trick.. I am just wondering how you get a jet ski ready for winter and is it ok to run seafoam in my ski's?

5.. I will say one thing I have been out the last couple of days for three hours straight both days and boy am I a little sore from those two days ..

6.. I paid $3800 for these two matching SL750's and a load right trailer what do you think good deal, I am happy as a clam but was wondering from the guys that know about this stuff if it was a good deal or not..
    Check NADA, seems high.

Sorry for so many questions for a first time poster but I know very little about these two SL750's I just purchased..Cya Slick PWC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rodi_2012_59926650.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	89369  

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick PWC View Post

1.. I am worried about this towing the ski thing and the motor filling up with water because that seems to be a important issue and I havent found it just yet in the manual on how to pinch off that line to stop the flow of water.. There is a 3/4" line coming of the rear left side by the pump,this is the line.

2.. My fuel gauge does not seem to work on both ski's, I wonder if that a float issue in the tank or some thing the the electronic display. everything else in the display seems to work or should I even worry about it because I have a reserve mode on the fuel shut off.. Some have a float problem,others will fill you in on it.

3.. Is it hard to get the parts for a repair for this year of ski?Not at all, alot of cheap used parts are around as are new.

4... I also am a boat owner and I have a Yamaha 4 stroke outboard on my boat and to get it ready for winter I normally just drain engine, fog cylinders and change the oils and I always run seafoam in my gas and that seems to do the trick.. I am just wondering how you get a jet ski ready for winter and is it ok to run seafoam in my ski's?Yes, running Seaform is fine,Just start the ski out of water for a minute, then fog the engine threw carbs,tilt ski up and allow water to drain out of exhaust. Myself,I like to allow the ski to suck up Red Pop thru the intake hose as extra protection ,but many don't.

5.. I will say one thing I have been out the last couple of days for three hours straight both days and boy am I a little sore from those two days
    Yep..new ski,old body

6.. I paid $3800 for these two matching SL750's and a load right trailer what do you think good deal, I am happy as a clam but was wondering from the guys that know about this stuff if it was a good deal or not..As long as they run good and your happy.

Welcome to the Hulk, good guys here. I would recommand to do a search on triple outlet fuel pump upgrade and perform this if it hasn't been done yet.

Would this hose be the one that you pinch off when being towed? Cya Slick pwc

Here is another shot just in case that other picture I posted wasent the right one.. Cya Slick pwc

It's the big hose in the bottom picture next to the water box.

Some prople put a Ball valve that won't restrict the water flow.

But, But !! you have got to have something to remind you to open it after towing. Like attach the laynard to it each time you close it.

It has to be idiot proof

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When facing towards the FRONT of the Polaris, the main water cooling inlet hose attaches to the RIGHT side of the jet pump base, down beside the jet pump tunnel.

The hose colored Yellow in the attached picture, I think is the correct one. Just follow it back, make sure it connects to the jet pump base.

The Red hose is the water exit from the cooling system, off the end of the water bar, from the thermostat housing.

The other place you can pinch off is shown in your first photo. The smaller hose connected to the exhaust system.

Block either one, and you won't get water inside your motor when being towed.

I agree with the comment about creating a reminder to re-open the cooling hose after you get towed. Tie the safety lanyard around the water hose, so you cannot start the engine until you retrieve the lanyard from of the engine compartment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL750 Waterbox, cooling hoses b.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	89427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brentsfishingpictures093.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	89428  

Ok I think I know which one your talking about now, it's the big hose on the bottom that has T coming out of it and a smaller hose going to the exshaust manifold.. I take it that I could just crimp that smaller hose that going to the ex manifold and that will take care of any problems with water filling the motor when being towed.. Cya Slick pwc

thanks guys for the help much needed for this jet ski newbie, I figure these are older jet ski's and I dont want to screw them up any more then I need to just because I did not know some thing as simple as this.. Cya Slick

Since I didn't see anyone address this...a big +1 on using the Sea Foam!

I'm convinced that that stuff could even cure cancer....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information