Driveshaft coupler greasing procedure???

Hey guys,

I have the typical "rattle" noise at idle on my 95 SLT750. ANY amount of throttle and it goes away. I'm almost positive it's coming from the driveshaft coupler, so I thought I would throw some grease in there.

First, I spun the shroud around and carefully inspected the coupler and there's no zerk or anything like it in the coupler (yes, I looked at all 360 degrees of the coupler). I'm wondering if I have the newer rubber coupler?

Second, in the bearing housing there's something that looks like a zerk, but it's not a zerk. It looks like a zerk with the spherical ball removed. At first, I thought it was the type that you needed to use a needle style grease gun fitting for, but after closer inspection and cleaning it up, I don't see a hole in it for the grease to go in.

It appears as though I could unscrew whatever this is and replace it with a zerk.

What gives? Anybody ever see this?

I unscrewed the kinda sorta grease fitting from the through hull on my 93 650, and put a standard one on it i got in a assortment from NAPA. And my coupler has a hole in it thats threaded for a grease fitting that i packed with grease until it came out the end. If yours dosent have a hole i would assume its dosent need grease.

And do you mean idle out of the water? I hear they always will make a rattle out of the water. If it does it in the water however...

It does look like a standard size zerk would fit in the hole. I might try that.

Mine makes the rattle sound in the water too....not just out of the water.

FYI.....I removed the factory zerk fitting and replaced it with a conventional ball-style zerk. It worked just fine.

After removing the factory fitting and inspecting it, it does look like it is a needle style....just couldn't see that tiny hold with the little bit of grease that was in there and not enough light (that's what my Dad started saying when his eyes started going bad.....there was nothing wrong with his vision, always not enough light! Ha!).

I do have the newer rubber (non-greaseable) coupler, so I only have one zerk fitting to grease.

After all that, the rattle noise is reduced but not completely gone. I'm not going to worry about it.

Thanks for the help!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by way2much2do View Post
    ...I do have the newer rubber (non-greaseable) coupler...the rattle noise is reduced but not completely gone...
    To grease the rubber bonded coupler, you need to remove the drive shaft, then insert a blob of waterproof grease into the coupler, and more on the splines.

Should quiet it right up, especially if you also grease the impeller end.

Thread Information