Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

At WOT Losses RPM’s & Sputters

Friday, starting with the engine cool, after riding WOT for about 1 to 1.5 miles the RPM’s drop to about 5500 and it sounded a felt like it is run on only three cylinders. Let off the throttle to about 2/3, and it would run smooth, go to WOT again, and it will sputter. If I let off the throttle completely for 10 seconds or so, then go WOT again, it will run fine for about 50 yards and do the same thing. If you hit the kill switch when the RPM’s drop, then restart, I could go for 100 to 200 yards before it did it again. By the way, there are no error codes on the display.

Drove ski to the dealer (he’s on the water where I ride in Ocean City) he said it sounded like a bad plug. He replace them, but still the same problem. He took it for a ride and said he has never seen this before and called Kawi while I was there. They gave him a few things to look for. One of the things he told me was something to do with vacuum and something could be collapsing. Does anyone know what that would be and does anyone have any ideal to what else it could be? Dealer still has ski and did not get to ride all weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250XRider View Post
    Friday, starting with the engine cool, after riding WOT for about 1 to 1.5 miles the RPM’s drop to about 5500 and it sounded a felt like it is run on only three cylinders. Let off the throttle to about 2/3, and it would run smooth, go to WOT again, and it will sputter. If I let off the throttle completely for 10 seconds or so, then go WOT again, it will run fine for about 50 yards and do the same thing. If you hit the kill switch when the RPM’s drop, then restart, I could go for 100 to 200 yards before it did it again. By the way, there are no error codes on the display.

Drove ski to the dealer (he’s on the water where I ride in Ocean City) he said it sounded like a bad plug. He replace them, but still the same problem. He took it for a ride and said he has never seen this before and called Kawi while I was there. They gave him a few things to look for. One of the things he told me was something to do with vacuum and something could be collapsing. Does anyone know what that would be and does anyone have any ideal to what else it could be? Dealer still has ski and did not get to ride all weekend.
    I'm going through the same thing right now. When the plugs were pulled, were they rusty? It's water getting into the cylinders somehow. I'm to the point of going nuts. I pulled the motor out of the ski for other reasons and going through it with a fine tooth comb. If I come across something I'll let you know. Let me know if your plugs appear rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by BluUltra250x View Post
    I'm going through the same thing right now. When the plugs were pulled, were they rusty? It's water getting into the cylinders somehow. I'm to the point of going nuts. I pulled the motor out of the ski for other reasons and going through it with a fine tooth comb. If I come across something I'll let you know. Let me know if your plugs appear rusty.
    No, my plugs looked good (no rust). The dealer thought so too. But he replaced them anyway to see if it helped. But as you can see it didn't.

someone esle had this problem also and they took it to the dealer numerous times and they finally figured out that it was a malfunction with the ecu and it wasnt firing on one of the cylinders.....hope that helps.

I think there is a bulletin out from Kawi about the air horn on the intake getting sucked to the side of the boat at WOT and obstructing the air intake. Check the air horn at the end (start) of the air intake to see if it's loose. Kawi has been gluing them back to the intake tract.

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    I think there is a bulletin out from Kawi about the air horn on the intake getting sucked to the side of the boat at WOT and obstructing the air intake. Check the air horn at the end (start) of the air intake to see if it's loose. Kawi has been gluing them back to the intake tract.
    Where can I find the bulletin?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Search button or in the threads at the top of the 250 section.................

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1

Talking

Bingo , sounds like it

just super glue the trumpet to the airbox to be sure.
    also if it has been happening you can see a black rub mark on the hull were it suck to.

Waz

+1
    I still can't get past a dealer where you can drive into! I have gotta find something like that! best of luck!

kman, you hit it right on the head! This is what my dealer found. I'm glad it wasn't anything major. Thanks for your help.

P.S.: By the way, my dealer did not charge me a thing for the service. Great place to deal with. If anyone is interested, the dealer is Bayside Jet Drive in Ocean City, MD.
    Phone: 410-723-9773

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information