Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low Voltage On Sppedster 200

I Am Trying To Save Another Trip To Dealer ( 190 Miles )
    Getting A Low Voltage Light On Both Motors.....mostly @ Idle...but Also Getting A Warning Beep While @ Speed...
    I Am Hoping A Loose Connection @ Battery Terminal Or At Least Someting Simple ( Which I Will Check This Evening )...any Suggestions....thank You

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    a Volt meter is your friend. look for > 13 volts at the battery when running

+1 on the volt meter. Also, the OEM battery is just a "cranking" battery; your amp has either damaged it, or is in the process of damaging it. Unlike a deep cycle battery, they will get damaged if discharged below 90%. I've got an '07, and have already had to switch out the stock battery because I had it hooked up to the amp. Even if you're only using the amp only with the boat running, the stator isn't up to the task of charging against the normal drain, plus the load of a 600w amp. Anyone thinking of adding an amp should seriously consider adding a deep cycle battery too.

When I Was @ The Dealer The Last Time....the First Of This Month..we Replaced The Battery....( Which Was Less Than A Year Old.. ) ...and I Have Not Used The Sound System That Much Since Then...as I Get Aget A Low Voltage Beep When I Do......

I Am Hoping I Have A Bad Connection Somewhere To Be Causing The Low Voltage Light To Come On For Both Motors...

Quote Originally Posted by racnanemesis View Post
    When I Was @ The Dealer The Last Time....the First Of This Month..we Replaced The Battery....( Which Was Less Than A Year Old.. ) ...and I Have Not Used The Sound System That Much Since Then...as I Get Aget A Low Voltage Beep When I Do......

I Am Hoping I Have A Bad Connection Somewhere To Be Causing The Low Voltage Light To Come On For Both Motors...
    You'll probably need to replace the rectifier...that was my low voltage problem. Put a volt meter across the good battery with the engine running. If you don't see 13.8-13.9 then it's the rectifier first or magnito 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    +1 on the volt meter. Also, the OEM battery is just a "cranking" battery; your amp has either damaged it, or is in the process of damaging it. Unlike a deep cycle battery, they will get damaged if discharged below 90%. I've got an '07, and have already had to switch out the stock battery because I had it hooked up to the amp. Even if you're only using the amp only with the boat running, the stator isn't up to the task of charging against the normal drain, plus the load of a 600w amp. Anyone thinking of adding an amp should seriously consider adding a deep cycle battery too.

How about an Optima Marine? I am getting ready to add an amp (4x60w) and I dont want to mess with dual batts, switches..ect...

Can I just swap out for a better battery?

For a mild amp just pushing 6.5" speakers, you'll be fine, but yes, it would be advisable to get a higher quality cranking battery. Keep in mind that you can still kill that battery if you listen to the stereo full blast with the engine off for an hour or more. If you ever add a 10"+ sub and the amp to run that, it's time for a dedicated deep cycle.

Adding a battery and switch was not a hard mod, and gives a better feeling a safety on a large body of water; something to think about for the future. BTW, I've been stuck before on a large body of water, and believe me, you want more than the Coast Guard required whistle.
    Last edited by VX1; 08-19-2008 at 06:17 AM.

Well..I was up thinking last night.. I have decided to add a 4 Channel (4x70RMS) + a Mono Amp for an Alpine 10" marine (200rms x1). Its going to be (2) 6.5's (Already installed the Alpines in the seats...really dont like the location as it blasts your ear)..Then (2) 7" Alpines in the boat (One on each side), then the 10" Sub... So I should just add a Deep Cycle and run it with my starting battery? I carry a jumper, but out here on the intracoastal/ ocean, its easy to be an hour from home.

Any pics of your setup?

Thanks,

Joe

Yeah, the stock battery isn't even close to adequate for the system you're now thinking of. I like my simple setup, I just have a deep cycle sitting next to the starter battery, and the amp is wired directly to the deep cycle. I just charge it on the battery tender at night. I replaced the OEM switch for one that will allow me to switch between the batteries. Battery (Energizer) was $60, switch was $20, battery tray was $10. Here's a recent battery thread with pics: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=battery

I tried running just an amp to the Polk 6.5" speakers for a while (resisting driling the big 10" hole), but it didn't sound that great without bass. The sub makes all the difference in the world. I love my current setup, sound so bad-azz. If you're going to use two amps, you've got to consider where you'd put them (not much room in the S150). I blew out my first amp because I put it in the same compartment as the stereo head unit, thinking it would stay dry, but it doesn't. Towards the end of this thread, you can see what I've got now: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=battery

System looks good! Thats a good idea about the deep cycle charging on the charger. I would assume I would be in big trouble with multi amps and just the crummy starter battery. I had a 4 channel in my last boat (Yamaha Lx2000 20') pushing 4 6x9 marine bazookas and it sounded awesome...really awesome. But I went with the alpines in the rear, so now I will stick to the same speakers and start dremeling...

Oh yeah, speaking of Dremeling...your only 2.5 hours from me

Also, space is a huge issue...I need room for the (2) 7" speakers on the sides...so now the Sub will have to be recessed somewhere else.

Thanks,

Joe

I like that Sony sub, almost pulled the trigger on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information