initial low rpms

Recently installed the RIVA power filter, catch can and free flow on my P-X, and noticed something that has never happened before. When I go from stop to WOT the RPM's go up to 8160ish, and all appears fine. If I was let off the throttle and do it again the RPM's would only go to 7500 and within 4-5 seconds hit around 8160 (+/- 50 rpm.
    I do not have the 15/22r as yet, so it possible I am hitting the rev limiter? Just not sure what happens if this does occur. I would think if I had a boost leak the RPM's would always be low.
    Like I said it seems to only occur after I have gone from zero to WOT to letting off throtte and then back to WOT. I does not do it a lot but enough to be a concern. Any thoughts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by North49 View Post
    Recently installed the RIVA power filter, catch can and free flow on my P-X, and noticed something that has never happened before. When I go from stop to WOT the RPM's go up to 8160ish, and all appears fine. If I was let off the throttle and do it again the RPM's would only go to 7500 and within 4-5 seconds hit around 8160 (+/- 50 rpm.
    I do not have the 15/22r as yet, so it possible I am hitting the rev limiter? Just not sure what happens if this does occur. I would think if I had a boost leak the RPM's would always be low.
    Like I said it seems to only occur after I have gone from zero to WOT to letting off throtte and then back to WOT. I does not do it a lot but enough to be a concern. Any thoughts?
    You need to check the slip moment on the charger. How many hours on it?
    Sounds like it is slipping when you let off the throttle and hit it again then eventualy hooks up. The x cgarger slip moment is at 8ft lbs stock before break in. IMO that is low to begin with.

I was afraid someone would suggest that. I have only 14hrs on the ski though. I wouldn't think that would be the problem as the ski is barely broken it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by North49 View Post
    I was afraid someone would suggest that. I have only 14hrs on the ski though. I wouldn't think that would be the problem as the ski is barely broken it.
    It may not be the problem but I would check it to be sure. Do you ride in choppy conditions were the ski comes unhooked from the water alot or mostly smooth? If mostly choppy it does not take long for a charger to start slipping. It is easy to fix if you get it early.

yes I ride in choppy conditions...Great lakes are rarely smooth.
    Last edited by North49; 08-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.

+1
    You can check the slip with it in the ski but I would remove it as I am sure it will need a shim.

It could be that (SC slipping) but it does not happen a lot and the rpm values seem too consistent. Also, when WOT the rpm's do not fluctuate but rather are solid around 8140. I remember when my 04 started to slip the RPMs at WOT would jump around by 200-300 rpm at wot. I added new spring washers then and it was constant again.
    Whats wierd is that it never happens at an initial zero to wot burst. Only following a burst, then slowing down for a bit and then going again. Happened two-three times yesterday. Prior to adding the mods mentioned earlier it never happened. Hence my question about hitting the rev limiter...

Thread Information