New to the game.

hey peeps. I am new to the seadoo lifestyle and I have just bought a 2005 sportster scic. I have to say that I love the boat. It is the perfect size for the lake I live on and tons of fun. Like everything I own I like to make it faster and stronger. I have searched for a couple of days on this site, and have to say that it is a great site full of info. I am wondering if anyone would be able to kindly give me a list of starter mods for this toy. And what steps I should do them in. For now the speedo is way off on the cluster. says I am doing 20mph at full speed. Any ideas? Also I am only getting about 7500 rpm at full speed. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way I am way up hear in Canada and the water temps are pretty cool. Any info on some performance parts and steps would be sweet. thankx in advance
    Last edited by RockRubi; 08-18-2008 at 12:01 PM.

The first thing that I would do is to replace the "known to fail" (and expensive to repair the engine) ceramic SC washers with metal washers. Checkout "SC Clutch Failure" and SC Rebuild Service" links on the left... Ron

Hello, and welcome. We can definitely accomodate your need for speed here. This sub-forum is the perfect place to see about the 4-tec engine mods, but also, make sure you see the boat-specific forum at: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21 It was moved recently and is harder to find than it used to be. There are a few of us over there who are seeing how far we can take these boats. There's a member "iron head" (a fellow Canadian comrade) who seems to not be satisfied unless he's passing cigarette boats.

An advanced search my posts and "speedo" will lead you to the fix for hte speedometer here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ghlight=speedo

Your first mod will be to ensure you don't have the original ceramic clutch washer in your supercharger. See the links to the left for "SC Clutch Failure" and "SC Rebuild Service" for more info. The ceramic washers can destroy your boat, take this seriously.

Your second mod, and the best bang-for-the-buck is to modify your air intake into the supercharger, to allow it to breathe better. Can easily gain you 2mph and much better response for little $$$.

Before you mod, you should really find out why your RPMs are low first. Could be a damaged prop, too much oil, clogged intercooler, etc. A normal RPM at WOT (wide open throttle) would be 7900, or even 8000 in cooler water. When you begin to mod, don't take the RPMs over 8100, or the engine will start leaning the mixture. As people increase power, their prop must pitched/tweaked and changed to match the new power.

+1
    Welcome to the forums...

Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it. I did find that all the info I could find was for the PWC's but i figured they wre the same anyways.(or am I wronge?) How top I go about checking my washers ? And is it very hard to replace them? Is there a tutorial or something for me? I assume that the boat will have to be out of the water. Sorry guys but I might have a few really dumb ?'s but bear with me

Changing the washers takes a couple of speciality tools and a torque wrench. Many send their SCs to Jerry for changing. He charges $50, which is less than half of what the tools cost, plus the cost of the parts. If your boat is not under factory warranty, you should get them changed asap.... Ron

+1
    RockRubi, welcome to the dark side...

All the tutorials are here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11 There are just three bolts and a couple of hoses to remove, to take your SC out and check the washers. The washers are around the gear on the supercharger. Ceramics are whitish-grey (even greenish), metal washers are silver. You most likely still have ceramics, unless the previous owner was very knowledgeable and diligent.

Yes, your Sportster is really just a 4-person ski, with a steering wheel and stereo. The RXT and S150 share many, many parts, but there are differences, and even differences between Sportster/Speedster model years. Anything specific to boats though, you'll get a better answer in the boat section. Spend as much time as you can afford reading here, and the search function is very powerful, when you know what you're looking for.

Replacing the washers is not something a novice should undertake. Jerry, the owner of this site, is amazingly skilled and inexpensive; just read people's responses in the "SC Clutch Service" link.

Yeah i would like to send it to jerry because I have read a lot of good things about his work. I just don't know how much it would cost for shipping. I am in Ontario Canada. Oh and what does the rebuild kit cost from jerry any ideas?

+1
    welcome to the forum !

Thread Information