Thread: Bad gas

Bad gas

Hey Guys, had a blast on my new Sportster this weekend. When we bought it, it had some nasty gasoline in it. Had to add some marine gas..(only 89) and it got better... Ran strong, but still has about a 1/4 tank it in. I am going to fill up with Premium on this next tank...Can I add some fuel system cleaner since its EFI? Just wondering if that gas clogged anything.

Thanks,

Joe

Most likely didn't clog anything, it would have a huge impact on your performance if it did. What makes you think the gas it bad? Old gas just loses it's octane rating (RON), where 6 month old 93 octane gas may perform more like 90 octane. That has no effect on performance, unless the RON gets so low that the gas is exploding on compression, rather than spark (detonations), and the engine's knock sensor backs off on the timing to compensate (which again, is usually not even noticable).

It's OK to add cleaner, though so much of that is snake oil. Can help dispense any water/condensation that might have gotten in there, which is a good thing to do.

I started it up..it wouldnt hold an idle...stalled....then gave it full throttle and it would bounce all around..top speed of like 27 mph (knock sensor for sure)...I then filled it up..(7.5 gallons of fresh 89) and it got a lot better..after a few spins and some WOT it was really getting better.

I added a thing of water remover and we went out all day and it was near perfect...A little RPM bouncing in the 2-3k RPM range (not sure if this is normal for a 4 tec?) .. Very nice power on the high end...GPS'd 48mph, full tank and passenger. I think it just sat for a while before I bought it.

A tank of premium may be all I need.. I just didnt want to mess anything up if I added some Techtron or anything.

Thanks,

Joe

Nope, add the Techron. Sound just like old gas, and you're doing what you should do for it. Your speed is where you should be for a non-supercharged 4-tec. Might be prudent to change the plugs too, if it sat around for so long. From my experience, the bouncing around at lower RPMs is normal.

Thanks!

Try a 'can' of Sea Foam...that stuff would probably cure cancer!

Seriously...great product. Sold in all marine shops, and I have even seen it at Pep Boys.

+1 on the seafoam. It definitley ain't snake oil.

Thread Information