Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

4 Tec Turbo Selection

I plan on going turbo...no later than this winter...maybe sooner...

I have read EVERY thread on the matter and feel 'pretty comfortable' in my selection of a Garrett model 3071R, but I am very open to OTHER CHOICES if I am made to understand why...!!!!

However, I do not want to be a 'turd' because of lag and hope to that this model is an acceptable trade off between HP and Lag.

I would like to be spooled up to my desired 18-20 psi, or pretty close to it, by 4000-4500 rpms or so...AM I DREAMING?

I don't ever drag race...EVER! That is not our riding style...however we do 'race' down the river which requires some 'half throttle' turns and such, which I am hoping will keep me 'boosted' most of the time...sound realistic?

Furthermore, could someone explain the 'construction' part of the turbo to me in BEGINNER terms so I can understand which options I might want on a particular turbo model....housing sizes, inlet, flange, exit...and so on...

I am open to ALL suggestions and opinions and appreciate them, so please say it!

Please anyone and everyone post what turbo they have or will be choosing and why you selected it...lets build a database on our 4 tec turbo selections, here or in Engineermike's original turbo thread which I think is better for the database part...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50163

I am really looking forward and hoping that the 'known' turbo guru's chime in on this stuff...I believe Hydrojunkie's water jacketed kit has opened the door to the turbo world for many of us!
    Last edited by ARNYGOLLOTT3; 08-18-2008 at 02:37 PM.

+1
    Hey Arny, I happened onto a few interesting bits recently.

One of my knowledgable contacts is Jose at forcedinductions.com. He claims to supply turbo's to the Middle-Eastern folks who turbo these things. He's also familiar with this board, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, his recommendation was to use the GT2876R. I ran the numbers on this and the 76 mm compressor is actually a better match to the 4-tec than the 71 mm unit. The GT2876 has a very small turbine wheel, which is what concerned me. It will make it spool up quicker like the 3071, but Jose assures me that the wheel is efficient enough to not cause excessive backpressure.

Though all the extra research (I'm close to upgrading my turbo also), I happened onto another jewel that may be the perfect match for us. There is a GT3076 that uses a T25 flange. This turbo uses the same turbine wheel as the GT3071r, which is smaller than the regular GT3076r wheel. It's quite a bit larger than the GT2876 turbine, so the exhaust pressure will be lower. The slow response is what steered me away from the regular GT3076r to begin with and this T25/GT3076r looks like a quicker spooling version of it, but with less exhaust pressure than the GT2876r.

Clear as mud?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Hey Arny, I happened onto a few interesting bits recently.

One of my knowledgable contacts is Jose at forcedinductions.com. He claims to supply turbo's to the Middle-Eastern folks who turbo these things. He's also familiar with this board, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, his recommendation was to use the GT2876R. I ran the numbers on this and the 76 mm compressor is actually a better match to the 4-tec than the 71 mm unit. The GT2876 has a very small turbine wheel, which is what concerned me. It will make it spool up quicker like the 3071, but Jose assures me that the wheel is efficient enough to not cause excessive backpressure.

Though all the extra research (I'm close to upgrading my turbo also), I happened onto another jewel that may be the perfect match for us. There is a GT3076 that uses a T25 flange. This turbo uses the same turbine wheel as the GT3071r, which is smaller than the regular GT3076r wheel. It's quite a bit larger than the GT2876 turbine, so the exhaust pressure will be lower. The slow response is what steered me away from the regular GT3076r to begin with and this T25/GT3076r looks like a quicker spooling version of it, but with less exhaust pressure than the GT2876r.

Clear as mud?

Mike

Thanks Mike...for this and all the PMs you answer for me too.

It seems like every time you answer my questions you leave me with even more questions!...

But seriously I follow what you are saying, I think, and this is exactly what I hoped this thread would begin!

KEEP THE INFORMATION COMING!

That's EXACTLY what I need mike. I have 2 j-pipes for turbos, one with a T3 flange, and one with a T25 flange. However the T25 flanged pipe is jacketed better( the jacket has been extended all the way up to the flange) and I would prefer to use this pipe. I was going to go with the 2871, or 2876 as you mentioned earlier, but I really felt the 4tec really needs a 30 series housing to flow the exhaust efficiently. This sounds perfect! Excellent find!!

What is the exact model # of this turbo? Does it come in an internally gated form? or external only? I have flipped through the Garrett catalog and website a few times now, and have never come across this turbo. I feel a 25 series is really too small to be in its optimum efficiency range in our application, although it provides excellent spool up times. But this sounds like the perfect turbo for our motors. I'm starting with a $300 eBay turbo, but plan on getting a nice garret GTxxxxR once I get everything tuned in...

+1
    Arny, I agree this stuff is confusing as heck. It complicates things even more when you start looking at the fact that a high A/R small turbine will flow more than a low A/R large turbine.

boostaholic, I've seen the t25 flanged GT3076r listed as "500 hp capable", "most powerful T25 turbo available", and "highest flowing turbo with an internal wastegate". The number is GT3076r-wg.

I, too, was really looking for a T3 turbo since my up-pipe is T3 flanged. However, adapter plates are cheap and this one may be worth adapting for.

Mike

Mike, about this T25 3076r, where and how would it fit (compare) into your table that you prepared in your original thread?

In your opinion you believe this turbo to be the best fit for the 4 Tec platform...cost not being a consideration?

I am going to do this turbo thing...I really would like to do it RIGHT the first time, thanks!

+1
    Updated:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turbo info.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	89524  

Awesome Mike!

How do we calculate or relate exhaust back pressure by looking at these numbers...is this a direct relation to the efficiency measurement you list...?

The S1 variant of the 3071 still looks appealing to me...the lag in comparison to the peak HP (470 is way more than we should ever use!?) offered still seams to be a good trade off...

Do we think that the exhaust back pressure will be an issue with this turbo?
    Last edited by ARNYGOLLOTT3; 08-18-2008 at 08:06 PM.

+1
    There are quite a few people on the boards running turbo's... what turbo did Stickem's kit come with? What turbo comes with Malvin's kit? What turbo is Jerry running? Any of the guys from Australia/New Zealand can say what turbos they run?

Arny I hear you about the turbos! Finding a turbo that can put out lots of HP yet spoon fast enough to the point where you have very little lag is important.

Loving this thread guys! Mike you have so much turbo info its crazy! I cant get enough

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information