99 Ultra 150 lacks power when cold

I have a 99 Ultra 150 that maxes out at 5000 rpms for about 10 minutes until it gets warm/hot and then it takes off and runs fine the rest of the day. The fuel guage hasn't worked since I bought it and the warning light is always flashing. Didn't know if this has something to do with it. All the plugs look fine and I get a spark when I take the plug boot off and stick a screw driver between it and the tip of each spark plug. It seems like it is running on two cylinders until it gets hot. I was thinking there may be a connection that doesn't fully engage until the wires or something expand enough from heat to make contact. I was thinking about snipping the wires and re-inserting into the boot as I have seen on other posts but I haven't done that before and wasn't sure if there is technique I need to use (such as stripping the wire?). I was also thinking a fuel supply issue but not sure where to start.

Sounds like it might be plug wires causing the running issue. They thread on, there is a screw inside the boot. Just remove them and trim about a 1/4 inch then screw them back on. 5k rpm sounds like it is running on 2 cylinders. The fuel gauge issue can be tracked down by following the trouble shooting steps in the manual.

Welcome to Green Hulk!

Thanks for pointing out the need to screw the plug wire heads off and back on. Turns out is was a faulty plug on the front cylinder but it looked like the wire trimming needed to be done. Replaced the plug and and I was back in business.

Good to hear you found the problem. The 5k rpm is a dead givaway you were running on 2 cylinders. Quick way to find a fouled one is to feel the plug base after it has been running a bit. If one is noticeably cooler then its fouled or not firing for some other reason.

Thread Information