GTX 96 putting drive system back

Hi guys,
    Recently I bought 1996 GTX with damaged cylinder. I rebuilt top end, replaced fuel lines, rebuilt carbs and now the engine starts right away and works fine.
    I didn't have any problem aligning the engine, that went smoothly and I put drive system back following instructions from the manual but when I put the ski in the water I noticed two problems:
    1. Water is leaking between carbon ring and seal carrier ring.
    2. The ski works fine on idle but when I open throttle the engine RPM's goes up but ski keeps going with the same speed and some strange sound comes out.
    I believe those two problems are related and probably I didn't assemble drive system right. I got that part in pieces when I bought ski.
    What do you think the problem could be?

I think I figured it out - I forgot to put o-ring under seal carrier ring. Thats explain the leakage. To strange sound when accelerating - I will take her to the lake tomorrow and check that out again.

+1
    More than likely the pump was cavitating fom air leaking in while accelerating.
    Hope it works out for you

It took me a little bit longer then I expected but finally I get a chance to put her in the water. When I accelerated to 4000-5000 RPM I heart some whispering from the pump area. I took impeller housing out of the ski and started disassembling. First thing I noticed impeller and impeller shaft are moving back and forth . I opened impeller cover and have found inside some metallic pieces (one of them on the picture, the rest was just small pieces).
    The cover inside looks pretty bad.
    Do I need to replace the impeller cover?
    What does it suppose to have inside?
    One more question not related to this issue - I switched to premix, installed oil block off plate and removed the cable from carb to oil pump. Now throttle does not comes back after pressing. Did I missed something when rebuilt carbs or it just requires an additional spring?

Thanks for your advices.

Sorry guys, I forget to attach pictures.
    Here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover 001.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	91143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover 002.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	91144   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover 003.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	281.8 KB 
ID:	91145  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Artiom View Post
    It took me a little bit longer then I expected but finally I get a chance to put her in the water. When I accelerated to 4000-5000 RPM I heart some whispering from the pump area. I took impeller housing out of the ski and started disassembling. First thing I noticed impeller and impeller shaft are moving back and forth . I opened impeller cover and have found inside some metallic pieces (one of them on the picture, the rest was just small pieces).
    The cover inside looks pretty bad.
    Do I need to replace the impeller cover?
    What does it suppose to have inside?
    One more question not related to this issue - I switched to premix, installed oil block off plate and removed the cable from carb to oil pump. Now throttle does not comes back after pressing. Did I missed something when rebuilt carbs or it just requires an additional spring?

Thanks for your advices.
    not sure you need to replace the cone (impeller cover), but it is supposed to be filled with 75w90 synthetic gear oil. that looks like you have a mess going on in that cone. is that grease in there? more than likely your needle bearings and thrust bearing are shot in the pump housing.

as for the throttle cable, be sure that the butterflys on the carbs return freely on their own. it is possible that the springs are gummed up or broken. did you hook up the throttle cable properly through the carb bracket?

Thread Information