Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Grudge racing classes Stock or Mod?

I guess we've come to a little crossroad in our classification of what Stock class is or is'nt.

If we can come to a somewhat agreement on what a modded ski is, we can use IJSBA as a guideline for our grduge racing.

Bore and stroke:
    1200 is stock crank w/ stock stroke, 80-82mm pistons.

Big bore is stock crank w/ stock stroke or stroked CC's that equal a 84-86mm piston. 84-86mm pistons.

Big, Big bore is stock or stroked crank with CC's that equal 87-90mm pistons. 87-90mm pistons.

Super bore is stock or stroked crank that equal CC's of 90+mm pistons. Or 90+mm pistons.

Modification classes:

Stock: Hull and deck must be stock except where repairs have been made. These repairs must not alter the original configuration by more than 2.00mm "0.08", Sponsons may be aftermarket as can rideplate, intake grate and trim tabs. Handlebars, grips and throttle can be replaced w/ aftermarket too.

Engine: Engines may be bored only to within 2mm of original OEM configuration. 1200, Big bore (1300), original port timing, , dome profile, pistons size, skirt length etc. Crankshaft may be re-built but to the original OEM specs, no stroking. No internal modifications of any kind, including grinding, surfacing, polishing, machining, shot peening, will be allowed on any internal engine componets. Aftermarket heads may be used and compression ratio can be changed only by the head or decking of OEM head. Extra base gaskets can not be used. Decking the cylinder can not be done.

Exhaust system: is stock except for D-plates and stingers, temp sensor chip may be changed or altered. Cooling system may be modified with extra lines and water by-passes. Stock or aftermarket ignition system can be used, stock plug wires, plug caps and spark plugs must be used. Stock carburetors or Fuel injection must be used with no internal boring. Stock reeds must be used, stuffers may be used. Stock or aftermarket air filters may be used. Stock powervalves and pv motor must be used. Oil injection or pre-mix may be used. Stock class must run on pump gas.

Stock pump with aftermarket impellors can be used. Stock exit and steering nozzle must be used. Aftermarket pump sealing may be used. OEM hood, cowling, bucket, seat and grab bars must be used. Aftermarket seat covers can be used.

Did I miss anything? Anyone want to add to stock class?

Limited class mods:

Stock class rules +, No internal modifications (stock class rules) to the engine except decking the cylinders, adding extra base gaskets to change port timing. Aftermarket heads with high comrpession ratios and dome changes may be used. Aftermarket reeds, spacers and stuffers may be used. Larger aftermarket carburetors and throat bores may be used. If larger pistons are used they will be moved to their appropiate bore/stroke class. Upgraded intermediate shafts allowing the use of 1300 pump spacers and pumps ('05 pump) can be used. Aftermarket pumps/driveshafts may be used. Gas valves may be used as can aftermarket powervalves and pv shaft changes. Pump gas or race gas may be used.

Hull changes will only be aloowed to within 2mm of OEM specs. Sanding, Pistonwash trueing and hole filling may be used. Storage buckets, hoods, hatches and cowlings may be modified

Mod class:

Limited class rules +, OEM cylinders may be ported, machined, decked, shot peened or modified as can OEM cases. OEM cranks can be stroked, lightened and modified to not exceed their class CC limits. Original equipment may be updated or back dated to original equipment. Interchanging between model years of cylinders, cases and fuel induction can be used. Blowers may be used. Hull changes can include, aftermarket hoods, seats, grab bars, cowlings and lightweight composites. No NOS!

If I can think of anything else I will add to it..or you guys can jump in and help. [/b]

OK will there be teardowns at MB2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elebouef
    OK will there be teardowns at MB2.
    Depends on whether someone says they have 80mm pistons and no porting. :P

+1
    "My" Ski is stock. You cant get me to say it any other way!!!! NOT..

+1
    Sorry dude,
    Your definitions are all skewed.

Ask any SeaDoo 951 owner what size piston he runs stock....

How about this:

Stock=stock
    Mod =seat cover and up.

OR
    Stock=1300cc max size, with a minimum weight of 550lbs.
    Mod=>1300cc max size, less than 550lbs.

Just wait till the stroker motors (ooooops, did I let a few cats out of the bag) come to light???

Interesting things you find out when you hang around a crankshaft shop.

Jeezus havent we learned ANYTHING from how bad the IJSBA is?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by coop
    "My" Ski is stock. You cant get me to say it any other way!!!! NOT..
    You will be the first one we tear down Coop!! You have been warned...you cheatin' dog!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    Sorry dude,
    Your definitions are all skewed.

Ask any SeaDoo 951 owner what size piston he runs stock....

How about this:

Stock=stock
    Mod =seat cover and up.

OR
    Stock=1300cc max size, with a minimum weight of 550lbs.
    Mod=>1300cc max size, less than 550lbs.

Just wait till the stroker motors (ooooops, did I let a few cats out of the bag) come to light???

Interesting things you find out when you hang around a crankshaft shop.

Jeezus havent we learned ANYTHING from how bad the IJSBA is?
    Well, that means everyone who has put a sticker on his ski has crossed the line.

I think having 3 classes with the number of skis represented will help those define what they actually have. This ain't the IJSBA but we do need clear lines.

When someone says they have a stock ski that does 80...we need to know if it is "our" stock. It would probably be considered a "limited" IMO.

Without porting, the skis are at a definite disadvantage.

+1
    Sorry, but I have to ask it,...

WHY DESTROY A GOOD THING?

Divisions do one thing.... DIVIDE up a great group of guys. Screw that. Who's enforcing it? You gonna tear down your ski? Bore? STROKE? LIGHTWEIGHT HULLS? Come on Man. Just show up, be happy with the speeds and have a great time.

The whole stock/mod crap is soooooo over rated. Plus, I'll tell your wife, you were racing in a class. (Just kidding! )

+1
    just my thoughts...

I am very new to watercraft performance. I do have experience in "steet" racing back in the late 80s and early 90s...when it was very lucrative($$$)

We broke down classes into: slicks/steet legal tires, big block/small block, and NOS/no-NOS. At the time no one was super or turbo charging motors on the street, if they did...they couldnt get a race. Everyone was running modified compression,ignition systems,fuel systems,gearing,converter and suspension mods.

On watercrafts for grudge racing I have noticed people talk about number of pipes,displacement and porting...thats ALL

Everyone here has modified handling,drive train,fuel,ignition system,and compression in some form or fashion...so whats left?

PIPES
    PORTING
    CUBES

lets all just have fun...

lets all just have fun...
    I agree, that is why we are here and not on the delete-edit forum. Well, I can't go anyhow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information