2000 1100 STX DI Broken rod.

Hi all! I am new to the forum. I have a 2000 1100 STX DI that has broken a rod. I'm not sure what happened and I was hoping that someone might have some insight to what caused this failure.

I had problems getting it started this year. It turned out to have a tank of bad gas. Once I drained it and filled it up and flushed the old fuel out of the filter it started like it always did. I took it out for a test run on a local lake and it ran great. I did some WOT runs and it hit 49 -50. I came back to the ramp for 15 minutes and then took it back out. That's when it broke the rod.

It has plenty of oil and the plugs are brand new. The ski has 59 hours on it.

I went through the forums and read about broken piston skirts and other problems with 1100's. Is that what happened here? Was this caused by over revving? Doing a spin without letting up on the throttle?

Thanks for any help that you give!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0083.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	764.2 KB 
ID:	89568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0084.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	824.7 KB 
ID:	89569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0085.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	845.6 KB 
ID:	89570   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0082.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	754.8 KB 
ID:	89571  

Surprise, AZ
    I can see corrosion on the big end of the rod. This is an indication that the bearing probably seized. Have you ever ingested water? When sitting longer than 2 weeks unused, did you fog the engine? Was the oil injection line to that cylinder full of oil at the time of failure? These are just a few things that come to mind.

Southeast Ohio
    Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

I agree with Glen. Looks like water got into the crankcase and caused some rust.

Glen, thanks for the feedback. We have owned the ski since 2003 and as far as I know it's never been turned over or gotten water in the engine. I have never fogged the engine. I wasn't quite sure how to do it since it is fuel injected. I'm sure that i'll learn how now! As for the oil injection line, it is intact and has oil in it. When you say that the bearing seized, does that mean that the rod snapped because the bearing couldn't turn?

I said that I had problems getting it started this year due to bad gas. Last year it only made it to the lake one time. The year before it never made it at all. So this year when I went to start it, it would only turn over once with the plugs in. With the plugs out, it would spin freely. I drained the gas tank and filled it up with fresh gas. I pulled the plugs and squirted 2 cycle oil in the cylinders thinking that it needed some extra lubrication. This didn't help. It still wouldn't start. After draining all of the old gas out of the fuel filter and lubing the cylinders several times it finally started. Did the old gas wash down the cylinder walls causing this seizure?

Its hard to say exactly what happened by just those pictures. If you can pull the head and take some pictures of the piston/cylinder. I would say it was either lack of lubrication or forien object in the crankcase.

Thread Information