State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar

Question 4TEC: New Install - Starter "whirl" but no engagement...??

Most may know, I just dropped in a new (to me - 47.7hrs) motor in my 2004 GTX. Took it to the lake yesterday for a quick water test after firing it up in the garage with no issues.

Started right up, no problem. Ran 'ok' but not great. As I throttled up it seemed to be missing a bit - RPM's were shooting all over the place and it wasn't running smoothly...3000 up to 3500 down to 2800 up to 4000. Never leveled out. I assume it may be related to old plugs/bad plugs - not sure. Engine sat for a bit while the previous owner was parting out the ski and trying to sell it.....

I also thought it might be the ECU not being mapped correctly - but it's my original ECU on a different motor...assumed if they were both the same motor with stock mapping, it would operate exactly the same. Maybe not.

But here is my question - drove the ski back to the ramp after a 5 minute test ride, drove it onto the trailer, pulled it out of the water....and then couldn't start it. I get the 2-beeps, hear the fuel pump and ECU turn on, hit the start button and all I get is the starter "whirl" like an A/C unit turning on at your house. I have had this issue on my boat and it's usually the bendix gear getting stuck in the down position or up position and the shaft is spinning freely.

Is there something else this could be?? I went to sleep fearing I had totally screwed something up and my motor is frozen up and the starter just can't turn anything....is there a way to manually turn the motor just to make sure everything is moving - not enough room at the drive shaft to grab it. I'm getting ready to pull the starter off to check it, but I just want to make sure I haven't completely botched the whole thing up.

If I knew how to do it, I would take a video or sound recording of the motor - but that is beyond my skill level.

Thanks.

Sammy, I can't tell you much about the starter, but the throttle body needs to be associated with the ECU. Are you using the TB from the old engine or the new one?... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by King_Of_Fun View Post
    Sammy, I can't tell you much about the starter, but the throttle body needs to be associated with the ECU. Are you using the TB from the old engine or the new one?... Ron

New throttle body, old ECU. I didn't realize that made a difference - thanks for the info. I don't want to use the old throttle body. There was already some salt creep and corrosion around the butterfly flapper and other areas. I want to start fresh so I will get the ECU mapped.

ALSO - I figured out the starter problem...and I can't say I'm happy about it. Turns out that the bendix gear came OFF the starter. I am going to look for it now with a mirror....It came off the end of the starter - I am hoping it didn't get completely chewed up somewhere in the flywheel, forcing me to pull the motor again.

If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck. Any thoughts on getting a bendix gear back out?? Oh yea, and in trying to get the starter out I was going to pull the exhaust manifold - stripped one of the top bolts and can't get it out.

If you want to get the PTO cover off, you will have to pull the pump and shaft, loosen the motor mounts, pry the rear of the engine so you can access all the bolts. It might be just as easy to pull the engine... Ron

If you want to get the PTO cover off, you will have to pull the pump and shaft, loosen the motor mounts, pry the rear of the engine so you can access all the bolts. It might be just as easy to pull the engine... Ron
    The motor has been in for about 36 hours....LOL. It will be a well traveled motor.

I am thinking I want to pull it out so that I can make sure there isn't anything damaged in the PTO area by the gear coming off.

I just really can't believe this. I am trying just speechless. My knuckles can't take this right now. LOL. Thank god there was a tropical storm this week and most businesses cancelled their appointments for the week.

Sammy, are you saying that the "c" clip came off and the 10-tooth gear came off the starter, or bendix between the block and the PTO cover is loose?... Ron

Sammy, are you saying that the "c" clip came off and the 10-tooth gear came off the starter, or bendix between the block and the PTO cover is loose?... Ron
    Sorry Ron, my bad. The C-clip on the starter came off, and the 10 tooth gear came off the starter and fell down inside the PTO housing. I have the motor out already and everything stripped off EXCEPT the PTO cover.

Never did an oil change on one of these, so I am looking now for how to drain the oil out - how's that for a 'newb' question?

Thread Information