Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Attention all pontiac sunfire owners, I gotta question!!

well im going to test drive a 2005 pontiac sunfire 2 dr. very low miles....i just need someone's opinion on them, like does anyone tow there ski with it or has anyone had any problems with them??????? The main reason im looking to purchase it is because my weekly gas bills are around $100 a wk and i've been looking for a car that gets alot better gas mileage than my truck...

please share opinions!!!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    well im going to test drive a 2005 pontiac sunfire 2 dr. very low miles....i just need someone's opinion on them, like does anyone tow there ski with it or has anyone had any problems with them??????? The main reason im looking to purchase it is because my weekly gas bills are around $100 a wk and i've been looking for a car that gets alot better gas mileage than my truck...

please share opinions!!!
    Another member had problems with a Chevy Cobalt(same platform) in that he could not tow anything without voiding the warratry because it had a manual transmission. Personally I wouldn't try to tow anything larger than a single trailer with such a small car.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    Another member had problems with a Chevy Cobalt(same platform) in that he could not tow anything without voiding the warratry because it had a manual transmission. Personally I wouldn't try to tow anything larger than a single trailer with such a small car.
    it has a automatic in it..hmmm i guess il have to do a little searching then..the most i would be towing is my xp on a single trailer

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gorilla03 View Post
    it has a automatic in it..hmmm i guess il have to do a little searching then..the most i would be towing is my xp on a single trailer
    Auto is supposed to be fine with light towing. The XP should be very safe it doesn't weigh hardly anything

+1
    yeah that's what i was thinking..i've had bad luck launching a boat with a manual transmission and im stickin to auto(for now lol)...yeah i mean i can see a problem if i was launching one of those big four stroke skis....just another advantage to owning a two stroke ski i guess

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
    that was me.

i traded it in for a 08 auto and it tows great. i have no problem getting it out of the water that was my one fear. most of the time i cant tell its behind me. my uncle had a cavalier towed a small pop up camper with it and it lasted to about 230k miles.

when im not towing the ski im getting an average of 29.5-30.4mpg when im towing it i get 27.5-28 not bad for a little car.

just keep the tranny fluid fresh and clean and change your oil on time and u will have very few problems.

I pull my big-arse SHO (1300lb with trailer, gas & gear) with a car as well. It's a 200hp v6 (01 Solara) as opposed to the 150hp i4 you're talking about, but I barely even notice it's there when I'm pulling it up the ramp.

The front wheel drive actually actually helps on wet ramps

Slightly increased acceleration and breaking distance (and crappier gas mileage) are the only side effects.

+1
    well im hearing alotta good things about the sunfire...im going to look at it now they want $7500 obo for it..i hope all goes well

it shouldnt be an issue i pull both of my ski's with my pontiac vibe which has a smaller engine

+1
    Did it for years on small fwd cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information