750 SS Re-installing with new cylinder - couple of questions!

New cylinder, pistons, etc ...

1. When transferring studs, how far should they go down into the new cylinder - couldn't find a spec (height or torque) anywhere - so, measured them in old cylinder and came up with about 43.5mm plus or minus .25mm .... sound OK? I used blue Loctite on them - OK?

2. When put cap nuts on base and head, should they also get Loctite of some type?

3. Lots of opinions on base gasket and head gasket re dry or with some form of sealant (RTV, etc) .... could I ask this again? Base gasket looks to be a impregnated fiber material (a grey shiny look) and head is usual metal with raised lip (lip goes down, right? - doesn't have an up or down marking on it). Where does the RTV go on the metal gasket - top and bottom, just top or bottom, in the small crease on the top (opposite the raised lip)?

4. Should I remove the drain plug and block off - I have a kit delivered by accident - it doesn't have a gasket - should it or should it use RTV?

5. Have already removed the oil pump and will be blocking off - don't have block off kit, yet - should it have a gasket or just use RTV? Assume can plug the injector ports with vacuum line caps - anyone know what size these are? (autoparts store has various sizes)

Thanks in advance!!

George

+1

750 rebuild

see below

Quote Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
    New cylinder, pistons, etc ...

1. When transferring studs, how far should they go down into the new cylinder - couldn't find a spec (height or torque) anywhere - so, measured them in old cylinder and came up with about 43.5mm plus or minus .25mm .... sound OK? I used blue Loctite on them - OK? blue is fine, did they bottom out in the bolt holes?

2. When put cap nuts on base and head, should they also get Loctite of some type? I used blue on mine

3. Lots of opinions on base gasket and head gasket re dry or with some form of sealant (RTV, etc) .... could I ask this again? Base gasket looks to be a impregnated fiber material (a grey shiny look) and head is usual metal with raised lip (lip goes down, right? - doesn't have an up or down marking on it). Where does the RTV go on the metal gasket - top and bottom, just top or bottom, in the small crease on the top (opposite the raised lip)?

I use copper spray on all gaskets, not sure on the lip.

4. Should I remove the drain plug and block off - I have a kit delivered by accident - it doesn't have a gasket - should it or should it use RTV?

I used RTV and yes you should. this is a know issue on teh 750 and can cause air leak, and lean condition

5. Have already removed the oil pump and will be blocking off - don't have block off kit, yet - should it have a gasket or just use RTV? Assume can plug the injector ports with vacuum line caps - anyone know what size these are? (autoparts store has various sizes)

do not know size, mine is a single carb, so it could be dirrerent. take it with you to the store.

Thanks in advance!!

George

Put the studs in until they stop.

Use loctite on every nut and bolt

Use permatex 2a or 2b sealant on both sides of the paper gaskets and to seal the case(advance auto or autozone)

I wouldnt use any sealant on the metal gaskets.

The head gasket goes on 1 way match it with the old

I forget the torque specs. i will try to find them and post later.

I would block off the case drain.

premix 32:1

the oil injection block off kit comes with everything you need

+1
    torque head 20-22 ft lbs
    60:1 amsoil

Thread Information