Thread: Predicament

Predicament

Hello.

Hope you guys in the know can give me some advice as I need it. I have an early 1999 Ultra that I bought some 3 months ago. Been great and had so much fun so far, when I first had it I used it for a few hours when I noticed that it was running BR9ES plugs, it also came with a set of the same that had been used.

After reading a post on here it stated that the early models should run the NGK R6198C-9 plugs, although it had been running great I decided to take the plunge and buy some of the £14.00 plugs ($2 I am now looking at probably having to get some more but am thinking that in the long run I would be better off buying the ADA heads, but am not really looking to increase performance at the expense of reliability. So 3 options, bite the bullet and buy the expensive plugs each time-2 invest in ADA heads or 3- Just run the BR9ES as they weren't causing me any problems previously.

What do ya reckon?

Si

I would check the CDI unit #. Someone may have changed the CDI out with a newer one so they could run the cheaper plugs.

predicament

Hello Axgrider

I have some service reciepts from early on in it's life with the expensive plugs listed as being used, How could I check if the CDI unit had been changed? Would it have a special number on it if it were safe to use the BR9ES plugs?

Si

The Kawasaki part number would dictate which CDI it was. Just cross reference the number with a Kawasaki parts list.

Thread Information