Carb Question 99 xl1200 ltd

I have been reading and learning a great deal here at green hulk for the past couple of months. I'm in the middle of a top end rebuild for this engine and while I have it out, I thought that I had better rejet the carbs while I am in there to prevent any future problems. I've already gotten the t screws, removed the tamper caps and disabled the accel pump, but I have a quick question about jetting.

Right now the carbs have:
    87.5 pilots
    1.2 needles and seats with a non-shiny grey spring
    117.5 mains

From what I have read from other posts, it is recommended to have:
    110 pilots
    1.5 needles and seats with a non shiny grey spring
    125 mains

If this is accurate or even in the ball park, can you tell where I can find these parts, I've looked in the online store but cannot seem to find them.

Also, can you tell me a good starting place for adjusting the high/low speed screws since this is all new to me.

During this rebuild, I've also put in a d-plate, oil block off, and primer.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so I just saw Osidebill's new post in the How-to section, which answers my questions for the most part. He gave two options 1) stock airbox or aftermarket F/A's with Choke intact or 2) aftermarket F/A's with chokes removed. Well, I have removed the chokes since I'm putting in a primer and I was planning to leave the stock airbox at least for the rest of this season. Does this change the recommendations for the jetting?

Anyone?

I have FA's with plates removed.
    125 mains
    110 pilots
    1.5 NS
    95 gram spring (dull silver)
    Runs awesome!!!

I just saw that you want to keep your stock airbox for now. I do not know how/if it will affect jetting. Ask OsideBill

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blu4ce View Post
    Okay, so I just saw Osidebill's new post in the How-to section, which answers my questions for the most part. He gave two options 1) stock airbox or aftermarket F/A's with Choke intact or 2) aftermarket F/A's with chokes removed. Well, I have removed the chokes since I'm putting in a primer and I was planning to leave the stock airbox at least for the rest of this season. Does this change the recommendations for the jetting?
    Nope the stock air box is still restrictive so you can run the same settings. if you plan on putting aftermarket F\A's on down the road put the 125's in and start them at 1-1/4 turns out.

Carb question

Let me interpret this......

Assuming that the ski is already premix, w/chokes and accel pump removed

If u keep the stock airbox, then T-handles are "Required" so as to allow adjustment of the recommended jetting? (required for this set-up)
    -re-jetting to 125-Main, 110-Pilot, 95g spring and 1.5 N/S

I am getting ready for carb rebuild myself and am trying to understand the purpose of the Hi/Lo adjustment/tamper ports. I'd like to have access to these if only to ensure that the parts inside are okay. But I also know if it ain't broke,,, don't fix it...

I would like to install F/A's but they ain't cheap! ($200+) So, if I keep the stock air box for now and re-jet w/what's listed above without adding the t-handles and add the F/A's later am I in trouble?

If the tamper caps come off.... MUST T-handles go back in?

Alot of rhetoric here.... its how i put myself to sleep at night!

+1
    T-Handles are optional. They just make tuning easier. You can leave the current adjusters in and do it with a screwdriver.

Tamper Cap question

Sorry for my inexperienced questions...

So, if the tamper caps are removed, Must another cap (non-tamper) go in its place or is it just left open for access to screw beneath?

Are there any issues with the T-Handles? I mean it seems like alot of metal for such a delicate or sensitive adjustment. After they've been "set" do they require re-adjutment due to the engine vibrating or other issues?

Thanks!

+1
    No cap needed they were put there by Yamaha to discourage people from altering the settings, it was an emmisions thing. I do suggest after setting the adjusters packing the hole with grease to act as a water barrier, the adjusters will freeze up if not protcted.

Thread Information