+1

pet tach - can't get it to read consistently

I have a pet 2500 tach and I can't get it to provide a consistent reading

the reading it provides is often low and it bounces up and down quite a bit

this model allows the battery to be changed and I have changed it

any suggestions on the following would be appreciated

1) best place to connect the tach sensing wire to the motor's ignition wire

2) best place to route the sensing wire

3) does it matter what type of wire I use for the sensing wire ?

+1
    I use solid conductor wire. Wrap it around two times each plug wire where it exits the e-box. Use code P23:46. Note some Yamaha 1200 triples use code 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    I use solid conductor wire. Wrap it around two times each plug wire where it exits the e-box. Use code P23:46. Note some Yamaha 1200 triples use code 21:42.
    I have had trouble with this also, what tells us to use the different code....?

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    i had the same problem with my 2100dxr last weekend when i was testing it, mik32e said the same thing, put it on the 2 plug wire as it exits the ebox and it worked fine after that.

+1
    Yamaha fires all three cylinders at the same time. So all plugs fire three times per revolution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3684.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	89707  

+1
    PET-2100DX tachometer instructions
    Thank you for the purchase of a Pulse Pet-2100DX digital tachometer.

I've put together a "Quick Start" manual to help the first time user get up and running in no time.

The whole key to the operation of this tachometer is the "MODE" button.

To change the setting example, from 2-stroke 2 cylinder (P22:44) to 2-stroke 3 cylinder (P23:46). Press the "MODE" button until only numbers appear in the display, such as P22:42 or P23:46.

To change to different types of motors press the "SET" button.
    You will want it to read P22:44 for 2-stroke twin cylinder, most 2-stroke 3 cylinder triples use the 23:46 mode

21:42 = Single cylinder
    22:44 = Twin cylinder.
    23:46 = Triple cylinder.

Using the basic tachometer

Once you have clipped the antenna lead to a spark plug wire and brought up the correct mode required using the directions above, you are now ready to monitor running and peak rpm.

You may also measure Rpm's by simply holding the unit near the spark plug wire.

Remember: This tachometer is “water resistant” not completely waterproof and it is your responsibility to protect your investment. Please protect it from submersion if possible. We recommend using clear plastic “shipping tape” to attach it to your watercraft. The best method to remove tape adhesive from the face is “WD-40”, other chemicals might damage the case.

Using the hour meter.

This unit has a built in hour-meter for both total and temporary time. Press the mode button to display the hour-meter. You can toggle between total and temporary time by pressing the "SET" button. You can also chart the temporary time by pressing both the "MODE" and the "SET" button at the same time. This can be a very important feature for breaking in race motors or by knowing the actual running time on the motor.

Using the Max RPM recall feature

Once you have made a run, you can recall the maximum RPM recorded.
    Again, press the "MODE" button until a small black mark appears on the top left side of the display. The highest RPM will appear in the display. To clear this for the next run, press the "SET" button on the right side of the tach. On certain motors, when the engine is first fired, the MAX RPM may be extremely high and inaccurate, push the "SET" button to clear this out.

Using The "TWIN MAX" RPM Feature

You can compare both your MAX RPM from the last run and your current RPM, fide by side at the same time. Press the "MODE" button until you see Twin Displays. The left number is your MAX RPM and the right number is your current RPM. You need to take this number times 100 to obtain actual RPM. For example 80 actual is 8,000 RPM. To clear this MAX RPM, just hit the “SET” button. The dual mode will not read in 10 rpm increments and isn’t recommended for tuning purposes.

30-Day warranty. Please save a copy of the purchase receipt for your records.

+1
    I currently run 2 tachs at the same time. A 2100 and 2500 both are clipped onto the #2 plug wire where it exits the box. They both read identical and I have never had any issues with them reading different.

+1
    I wrapped my wire around the plug wire next to the boot on #2, I also used solid core wire. my 2500 worked great. I did have a little issue with the 2100 but I solved that. Are you running power and ground to it?

Philip, I had similar problems with my 2100DX. I tried attaching the pickup wire on all 3 plug wires by the box and it didn't work. The only good location for me was on the #2 wire by the plug boot. I used a stiff piece of solid core 18 AWG wire.

+1
    OsideBill, how would you ground out a 2500? The only have the one spot to run the wire for the 2500 to pick up the rpms. I was wondering if maybe my tach was not reading right because it was not grounded. Any suggestions?
    My Pettach 2500 sometimes needs to be switched over to another wire or moved around to get it to read somewhat consistantly. Its finicky like that, hahaha.
    SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information