Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking at 1996 750 SS

Is there anything I should look for? It hasn't been run in a couple of years but the owner said I'm welcome to bring a battery over and try to fire it up. The pics online look pretty good aside from faded decals and she claims it has very low hours. Other than doing a compression test when I get there is there any common problems on them? She's asking $1200 with a trailer but she seemed interested in selling it without. If it runs and I can snatch it up for $800 without the trailer is it worth it?

John

Check:

-Compression
    -Impeller/pump/wear ring
    -Spark plugs (look for sings of running lean)

Is it worth it???? Only you can decide that.

Alright, thats kind of what I figured as far as checking it over. So there's no common issues with these that I should be aware of? I did some searching here and didn't come up with too many hits regarding this machine.

Thanks.

John

+1
    $800 SEEMS HIGH IF ITS NOT PERFECT. GOT MINE FOR $250. spent $300 rebuilding engine so that gives tou a target. fun little machine, slides pretty well, not strong enough for a 230# guy, but my wife and daughter love it.

easy to work on
    cheap to fix

issues:

air leak at case drain possible--buy block off kit
    oil injected, could be an issue--buy block off and run premix
    can drop intake grate-- check bolts adn resecure with locktite
    likes to porpoise at speed, needs extended ride plate

Sean

1 Make sure the trim and gauges work
    2 make sure when you do the compression test the psi's are within 8lbs of each other no more than 10
    3 kawasakis are known for the crank seals going. The case should hold 8lbs of pressure
    4 i cant remember but if that ski has the water drain in the case, it needs to be checked and maybe blocked off. They can leak air and lean out the motor.

I paid 300 for a 93 xi and rebuilt the motor for another 300

She was mistaken when she placed the ad, its a 1994. It hasn't been ridden since 2000 at the latest and it is in mint condition except for some mildewing on the seat, foot padding, and handlebar pad area, no fading on any of the stickers. I'll snap some pics tomorrow, even the inside of the engine compartment/hull is spotless. The woman said it was used 10 or 12 times at the most and then parked. I pumped the rotten fuel out of it that she said was in it since 2003, poured in some fresh pre-mix, put a splash down the carb, and with a jump box on it it fired right up and ran great. My plans include a block off for the injection system, I never liked or trusted them and maybe a ride plate. I have a couple of questions about it. What is this "case drain" that you all are talking about and where is it located? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good place for aftermarket parts like the drain block off and oil injection block off?

John

After setting that long, you really should pressure check the crank case. Hate to see you loose an engine due to an air leak.

+1
    there is what appears to be a choke pull to the front left side of the engine right at the highest point of the exhaust. If you pull it, it pop a drain on the side of the crank case. This allows for draining the crank if flooded (gas or water)

They are prone to leak if not sealed right. This allows air into the combustion cycle past hte carbs which leans it out. that equals burned pistons

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have a lot of experience with 2 stroke ATV's and I'm aware of the damage the an air leak in the crank case can cause. I saw that little knob and though it looked like a choke I knew that wasn't what it was. I guess those two block off plates will be at the top of my to do list.

John

How exactly do you perform a crankcase pressure test? I just bought a 96 750 ZXi that hasn't run in a few years (and that I am about to tear into d/t no compression in one cylider) and I would love to know what other things like this to check so I don't blow it up right after rebuilding it.

Thanks for the info on the water drain valve, too- I couldn't figure out what that plunger was for and was going to have to start digging around to figure it out!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information