Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just got an FX SHO

My old 01 seadoo gtx di too a dump so we got an sho.

first question about this thing is does it pick up power running 93 octane?

i havent ever really messed with jet ski's but i have been building turbo/supercharged imports for about 8 years. ( my shops race car... 94 acura integra runs mid 9 sec quarter mile at around 160mph )

i know alot of the newer cars out there will run fine on 87 but on they will pick up power if ran with 93 octane.

and the other question.. whats the first mod you guys would do. I'm reading the forums and seeing that all the bolt-ons dont really gain a whole lot.. I'm more interested in acceleration than top speed. My contacts start to peel out of my eyes at around 60mph anyway haha

save your money and run 87, you don't need higher octane untill you incress boost. I tried it just for jiggles and did not notice any differance. And if you want arm ripping aceleration get the R&D CFM kit. It made a huge differance in mid range on my ski.

Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    save your money and run 87, you don't need higher octane untill you incress boost. I tried it just for jiggles and did not notice any differance. And if you want arm ripping aceleration get the R&D CFM kit. It made a huge differance in mid range on my ski.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Wadzii View Post
    My old 01 seadoo gtx di too a dump so we got an sho.

first question about this thing is does it pick up power running 93 octane?

i havent ever really messed with jet ski's but i have been building turbo/supercharged imports for about 8 years. ( my shops race car... 94 acura integra runs mid 9 sec quarter mile at around 160mph )

i know alot of the newer cars out there will run fine on 87 but on they will pick up power if ran with 93 octane.

and the other question.. whats the first mod you guys would do. I'm reading the forums and seeing that all the bolt-ons dont really gain a whole lot.. I'm more interested in acceleration than top speed. My contacts start to peel out of my eyes at around 60mph anyway haha
    No offense bud but if you have been building FI cars for years then you should know all about the ins and outs of octane ratings and their purposes and effects. You should know there is no performance to be gained using a fuel that has less energy.

+1
    there are alot of cars that are tuned for higher octain fuel but can run lower octain with a drop in performance due to knock sensors retarding the timing
    the sho is tuned for low octain so there will be no gain with high octain

kev

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    there are alot of cars that are tuned for higher octain fuel but can run lower octain with a drop in performance due to knock sensors retarding the timing

kev
    Dont really want to put too much faith in the knock sensors. The threshold is only so much then it cant pull any more. Even inaudible knock is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post

kev
    thats what i wanted to know.

most hondas are "tuned" for 87 octane but putting 93 in will result in a few more hp once the ecu figures it out.

it seems odd to me, any time forced induction is involved more octane is always better.

higher octane does not mean less energy, octane only refers to the fuels resistance to knock.

both the seadoo ski's we had before were so slow i never botherd trying to mod them.

and if anyone wants a 01 seadoo gtx di with possibly a bent rod let me know.. im tired of looking at it in my yard.

+1

most hondas are "tuned" for 87 octane but putting 93 in will result in a few more hp once the ecu figures it out.

it seems odd to me, any time forced induction is involved more octane is always better.

higher octane does not mean less energy, octane only refers to the fuels resistance to knock.

both the seadoo ski's we had before were so slow i never botherd trying to mod them.

and if anyone wants a 01 seadoo gtx di with possibly a bent rod let me know.. im tired of looking at it in my yard.
    Actually, higher octane equates to a more controlled burn, thus usually generating less power. Unless knock sensors come to crash the party and start retarding timing.

+1
    Welcome to the family.

Like everyone else stated, no gain with higher octane with the relatively small boost (5.5 psi) this bike sees. Once you get up above 7-8 psi there may be a need for it.

I hope to have mine up to 10-11 before the beginning of next season. I'm in the midwest so yes we have seasons. lol

No it means that the fuel needs to have a higher amount of heat and compression to burn. Im not trying ot argue, just help. You should do some more research on fuels and their uses. Octane and oxygenation are two of the main things you should read up on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information