Thread: SL750 starting

SL750 starting

Hi folks.... let me start of by thanking everyone for the help given to me over the last 6 months. I find this forum invaluable and probably saved me a boatload of money (pun intended)

Anyway, we're enjoying the 750's this summer and I'm trying to find someone to buy them so I can buy K447's virage but that's another story.

My question today is about starting the 750's up.

How long should I have to depress the starter on these boats to get the engine running? Currently I have to depress them for about 30-50 seconds before they'll kick over and start.. can't be very good on the batteries. I take them out after every day run and put them back on the charger to try and lengthen their lifespan.

I don't see any sort of priming mechanism available except for the choke.

I replaced the fuel lines and put in the triple mikuni several months ago but it just doesn't seem to kick over quick enough. But having never owned one before I really don't know what's "normal"

your comments would be appreciated.

thanks
    Jaz

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    It should NOT take most a full minute of cranking to get the engine started. It is hard on the battery, it is even harder on the starter motors.

Have you checked for air leaks in the fuel supply, all the way from inside the tank to the fuel pump, including the fuel selector valve?

The fuel pump creates suction in those lines, and any air leaks will impair the ability of the pump to move fuel.

Can you see the fuel moving through the fuel lines while you are cranking? Once it starts running, are there still air bubbles appearing inside the fuel lines, indicating an air leak?

If you have one, is the fuel/water separator leaking air?

If you have good compression in the PTO cylinder, a fast cranking battery, and the triple outlet pump is properly hooked up and working, then it should pump fuel fairly quickly.

Were the fuel lines changed? Including thos einside the fuel tank?
    Return line flow restrictor in place in the new return line?

With an upgraded fuel system (pump, lines, filters, shut-off, carbs cleaned) both my Fuji SLs will not start after sitting for a couple of days. I need to crank them for a while before they catch. Instead of doing this, I carry a spray bottle of mix fuel. I rotate the rubber elbow up and give it a couple of squirts on the trailer before they go into the water. This method works well for me.

You could also install a primer kit.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    ...You could also install a primer kit.
    I have seen an inline fuel primer squeeze-bulb installed in a Fuji Polaris, which the owner says was stock on his 1992 SL650. Even if was added later, it does work well.

Two or three squeezes of the bulb, and the carbs are pressurized.

Looks something like this, strapped inside the hull, just before the fuel pump. Lift the seat, squeeze, and it starts right up.

Thank you!! this looks exactly like what I need!

I will try this weekend... sort of like starting up the chainsaw ... hope it's not as dangerous!

thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I have seen an inline fuel primer squeeze-bulb installed in a Fuji Polaris, which the owner says was stock on his 1992 SL650. Even if was added later, it does work well.

Two or three squeezes of the bulb, and the carbs are pressurized.

Looks something like this, strapped inside the hull, just before the fuel pump. Lift the seat, squeeze, and it starts right up.

Thread Information