Question 96 Kaw 750 ZXi oil injection question

Just bought this ski and FINALLY am a member of the PWC community! Been looking for months and found a cheap project ski w/ one cylider w/ no compression I'm about to tear into.

Guy I bought it from said originally blew it up, had it rebuilt, and the shop told him it was due to an injector or line that was plugged up, so one cylinder wasn't getting any oil.

Question: Do most of you recommend blocking off the oil system and just mixing my own gas for reliability's sake? If I do that, will it affect my carb tuning? (I haven't even looked yet to see where the oil is injected pre- or post- carb?)

Thanks and I'm happy to finally have something to post about!

I always block off the oil injection. Main reason the oil pump fails or the lines break or get plugged. Then the motor blows. Buy the kit it is a piece of cake to install and there is no carb adjustments to make

Welcome to the Green Hulk!!

I prefer pre-mixing. I went to great lengths to get my Ultra converted.

You may need to open the carb screws a little when you convert. The oil in the premix is displacing fuel so, there is ultimately less fuel getting to the cylinders. This is a small amount however, if your engine was already running a little lean, it could be enough to smoke a piston.

How about some pictures of your new ride???

Well, it depends on the ski. On 1200's like the Ultra and STXR I wouldn't think about premixing. As for a 750 ZXI like what your talking about its a must! When Kawasaki made the ZXI the oil filter was an inline oil filter between the tank and oil pump. So as the oil pump is pulling oil from the resevoir the filter is filtering it. The problem is if the filter gets clogged you don't know until its to late. Don't ask how I know.

Yup- the line from the tank to the oil pump was cracked and plugged.

You guys nailed it, and I am going to throw it away, install the block-off kit when I'm done rebuilding the motor, and pre mix for sure!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Millertime44 View Post
    Yup- the line from the tank to the oil pump was cracked and plugged.

You guys nailed it, and I am going to throw it away, install the block-off kit when I'm done rebuilding the motor, and pre mix for sure!

Thanks!
    I hate to say it but this is one of those times where I just got to say I told ya so! Now you know what I am talking about with the filter being clogged and whatnot. Stupidist place and thing I've ever seen Kawasaki do, really. Hold your tank up with the filter down and all you get is a drip drip drip thats how you know its clogged take the filter off the hose and oil comes a pourin, right? Its a ridiculous rig Kawi did and thats why they went to filtering the oil while pouring into the oil tank instead of filtering it that way, like the little mesh screens you see and can pull out on late models. No more inline filters thats why I recommended for you to ditch the entire oil contraption on that ZXI, you keep it and its not a matter of if its a matter of when it will get clogged and then you'll be buying a new motor and then you'll be premixing then anyways so might as well go ahead and do it now. It is a little bothersome but will save your motor and that 750 will run you forever premixing it, that 750 is a bulletproof motor premixed!

No problem btw, I'm glad you found it now you saved alot of money too with an easy fix.

Does that motor have the crank case drain like my 1994 750SS does? If so, you should axe that too before it gets you. I've got a nice list made up of stuff like that I have to order in the next couple of weeks and install before I put the ski away for the winter.

John

Quote Originally Posted by atc250r View Post
    Does that motor have the crank case drain like my 1994 750SS does? If so, you should axe that too before it gets you. I've got a nice list made up of stuff like that I have to order in the next couple of weeks and install before I put the ski away for the winter.

John
    Yes, mine does have the crankcase drain. Took me a while of reading around when I first bought it to even figure out what that knob did...

I have read enough to know you're right- when I get this rebuilt I will be blocking that off as well to prevent ANY chance of air leaks.

Glad to be on the forum- I've learned quite a bit of this stuff BEFORE I rebuild and blow it up again! Thanks, guys.

Thread Information