Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: battery

battery

need a battery for my 650 sx. was wondering what your experience's are with diffrent battery's is it worth buying the yuasa battry for 144 bucks or should i just buy th cheap walmart everstart for 44. any advise would help

You will def. get what you pay for. I had a Yausa CB16-CL-B in my 650SX and it lasted me for 7 years. During the off season I would remove it from the ski and keep it in a heated garage, top up the fluids every spring and give it a good full charge. The Walmart batteries are terrible. I bought one last year in June, had to replace it under warranty this year in March and the new one is not long for this world already. Same battery number, but Energizer brand. When it comes to batteries in the marine application, it's always best to pay the extra and have a good quality battery that will be reliable and last

I have had good luck with the Walmart batteries. I pull mine out for the winter, keep them inside, throw a charge in them in the spring and they are ready to go.

I think that the thing to keep in mind here is Walmart is not manufacturing batteries. They are made by someone else, so you are not buying a "Walmart" battery. You are buying a battery with the Walmart name on it.

I am not saying that there are not quality differences between manufacturers, but just because it has a store name on doesn't necessarily mean that it is poor quality.

A real world example: I worked for NAPA Auto Parts years ago. They sold "NAPA" batteries that were manufactured by Exide. Exact same batteries, just a different name and a little lower price.

Just my two cents!

+1
    I am thinking that just for safety, I will be switching to GEL batteries next time. Pay a little more, but they last longer

I know what you mean and in some circumstances it is the same manufacturer. But the thing is, when you see the same product with a different name on it for a much cheaper price...it's because to achieve the price range the buying company wants, the manufacturer has to lower the bar where ever they can.

In the case of our topic, Walmart batteries could be made by Yausa, but for Yausa to achieve Walmart's targeted expense pay out, Yausa would have to skimp somewhere to make it to that cost. Otherwise they loose the deal and someone else picks up the contract. What I believe the issue is with cheaper batteries would be the internal plating. The thinner the plating, the less reliable the battery and less CCAs it will produce. Think of a fuse, a 5amp fuse won't last long in a 10amp circuit, the fuseable link is too thin of guage.

Like yourself I take good care of my ski and everything inside it...but unfortunately I have had horrible luck with Walmart batteries. It's this streak that I base my opinion of how well they're made. Every now and again though somebody gets some decent luck from a lesser expensive brand name I'm out for the night though, have a good one everybody

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzenegger View Post
    I know what you mean and in some circumstances it is the same manufacturer. But the thing is, when you see the same product with a different name on it for a much cheaper price...it's because to achieve the price range the buying company wants, the manufacturer has to lower the bar where ever they can.

In the case of our topic, Walmart batteries could be made by Yausa, but for Yausa to achieve Walmart's targeted expense pay out, Yausa would have to skimp somewhere to make it to that cost. Otherwise they loose the deal and someone else picks up the contract.
    Not always true. Sometimes the manufacturer makes up for the lower profit on store brand sales in shear sales volume. It helps a manufacturer to produce large quantities because they can buy raw materials in larger bulk and save money. Lower raw material costs = higher overall profit margins.

You are correct about the plates. A good indicator of battery quality is weight. Obviously the better batteries will be heavier. I have no idea who makes Walmart batteries and, I am not saying that they are as good as Yausa because I just don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for paying for a quality product. I just don't like paying for a brand name.

I guess there is no right or wrong answer. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes sir you hit the nail on the head there. I am in total agreement with you my friend. I too hate to pay for a brand name if I can find equal attributes in something else. In some instances too, all you are paying for is a sticker or label. Possibly the best proof of that would be the largest manufacturer in North America of a major array of products called MTD. It means Manufactured Tool and Die. They are very well known in the lawn tractor industry and snow throwers.

In Canada, they own a brand name called Yardworks which is sold in Canadian Tire...something like a Canadian version of Walmart but not quite. Well, Canadian Tire in the last few years brought on a new line...Troybilt. It happens that this new line of "Troybilt" is not new at all, it's just the sticker. It is the exact same tractor feature for feature, chasis to chasis, and deck to deck. The only two differences are the headlight designs, and the stickers. I know this because I was one of the two techs working at a local Canadian Tire when they were brought in. The point here is, they have purchased a household name, slapped the stickers on an already existing product and charge $1600.00 more for the identical thing just other than the TB is red and has the sticker. How ignorant is that?

+1
    MTD is like GM they make a few different lables

+1
    for 144 bucks get an odyssey i have them sitting in my skis for 6 months with no charge and no problems at start up........

definitely u get what u pay for ...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have a look at sealed AGM type batteries, like the East-Penn Deka.

Leak-proof, vibration resistant, high output power, reliable, low self-discharge rate.

Everything a PWC battery should be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information