Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    JFK

New SHO arrived in factory sealed crate - engine 50 % under water??

finally are waiting for several months before i received a FX SHO from a dealer from the midwest,US as i am living in the beautifull country Holland (amsterdam) i finally collected yesterday evening the factory crate with the waverunner... but soon to be really dissappointed...

Engine compartment was filled for approx 50 % with water, level to the exhaust manifold ,( left hand side pwc) my "luck" that YAMAHA ships all waverunner diagonal in the crates and right hand side was almost dry... almost .

Surely i dried everthing out but i guess that the stater has had a bad trip being in the water for , how long .... ?? today i am going to start it - lets say trying it , any of you have experiance with this issue ??

to be sure i am going to remove the starter and inspect it , did a check on the wire compoments , they are dry ( thanks to the good connections ) BUT i am really afraid there might be water inside the area of the generator ?? or does the starter seal this thight ??

Guys , your input is most welcome ... i have no idea how this can happen .. everything was factory sealed ......

What do i need to check prior to fireing it up??, checked the oil no traces of water sofar .... compressor dry ... air intake filter wet for 20 % ( bottom ) - yes check starter -

Thanks - Jimmy

08- Raptor 700 cc
    08- GP1300R
    08- FX SHO

Moderated
    please do not try to start this ski until the 4 stroke pro's on here give you some advice or you may bend a rod or soemthing.

I know how to clear a 2 stroke of water since i flooded one of my gpr's but i dont know how to do a 4 stroke....

be pateint as someone will help within the hour or 3.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy James Kearney View Post
    finally are waiting for several months before i received a FX SHO from a dealer from the midwest,US as i am living in the beautifull country Holland (amsterdam) i finally collected yesterday evening the factory crate with the waverunner... but soon to be really dissappointed...

Engine compartment was filled for approx 50 % with water, level to the exhaust manifold ,( left hand side pwc) my "luck" that YAMAHA ships all waverunner diagonal in the crates and right hand side was almost dry... almost .

Surely i dried everthing out but i guess that the stater has had a bad trip being in the water for , how long .... ?? today i am going to start it - lets say trying it , any of you have experiance with this issue ??

to be sure i am going to remove the starter and inspect it , did a check on the wire compoments , they are dry ( thanks to the good connections ) BUT i am really afraid there might be water inside the area of the generator ?? or does the starter seal this thight ??

Guys , your input is most welcome ... i have no idea how this can happen .. everything was factory sealed ......

What do i need to check prior to fireing it up??, checked the oil no traces of water sofar .... compressor dry ... air intake filter wet for 20 % ( bottom ) - yes check starter -

Thanks - Jimmy

08- Raptor 700 cc
    08- GP1300R
    08- FX SHO
    Be very very careful.......u have a potential disaster on ur hands if water got into the intake somewhere (fluids dont like getting compressed) and u can hydraulic/grenade ur motor.........

I would pull the plugs out and dry crank the engine to see if there is any water in the intake ....if water is present, it will get pulled thru and pushed out the spark plug holes....careful

yeah...lets some other people chime in....dont start that ski yet!!!
    Last edited by Rip'nTear SHO; 08-21-2008 at 05:11 AM.

JFK
    Thanks you guys, really appreciated!
    i will posts pic's asap - still a bit flabber gasted how i can receive my FX in this condition.

don't hesitate to post a thread if something comes across your mind please!

thanks jimmy

Hope you had insurance on the shipping that may make things a little better . I gather its salt water in the hull which being in there so long wont be a good thing for anything . I would be having a good look ova it as was said take the plugs out even do a oil change and filter just to be certain. Mate hope it all turns out good for you .

fabrication guru rapidacceleration's Avatar
    +1
    definatly change the oil before firing it!!!!!!
    see if there any milky white traces in the oil.
    after sucking out the oil, let the oil sit for a while in something clear see thru, if theres water in your oil it will seperate and the oil will float to the top.

pull the plugs out BEFORE you touch the starter button.
    once you get the starter issue figured out,
    DO NOT crank the motor over without removeing the plugs first!!!!
    if theres water in the cylinders and you try to compress it, you will crack your engine block. it only needs to crank over once to destroy your motor.

JFK
    Quote Originally Posted by rapidacceleration View Post
    definatly change the oil before firing it!!!!!!
    see if there any milky white traces in the oil.
    after sucking out the oil, let the oil sit for a while in something clear see thru, if theres water in your oil it will seperate and the oil will float to the top.

pull the plugs out BEFORE you touch the starter button.
    once you get the starter issue figured out,
    DO NOT crank the motor over without removeing the plugs first!!!!
    if theres water in the cylinders and you try to compress it, you will crack your engine block. it only needs to crank over once to destroy your motor.

Good , i will change the oil and the filter along, prior to starting
    Starter and plugs will be checked and take your advice to leave them out
    (plugs) Anything else i need to pay attention to for this specific engine ?

Let's say , if there is water inside the engine, based upon the 6 weeks journey from the states to Europe , this def. would mean overhaul ??

+1
    I'd seriously contact the people I bought it from first.... better to wait for a good ski than start off with one that has some potentially serious problems.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    I'd seriously contact the people I bought it from first.... better to wait for a good ski than start off with one that has some potentially serious problems.

EXACTLY. This is not something you should even TOUCH. They should take care of it. Did you contact the shippers?

Contact the shipping company, ask them to investigate what happened. Did the vessel sink? Did it happen on the way to your home? What is the procedure to file a claim?

Is it saltwater?

Contact selling dealer, is this common/possible?

Good Luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information