Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

SC clutch vs other designs

The centrifugal SC on these skis are very nice, and perform about as good as the average performance enthusiust could hope for...

but why are we not searching like maniacs to find a better way to "clutch" these monsters?

We know you cant' dirrect-link them. We know you can't stray too far from the stock settings. We know about oil types and hypes.

What we DON'T know, is if there is a better way.

Now it seems to me, that Yami is trying something new, albeit on a smaller sc, but still, they are thinking outside of the box.

Any ideas on taking their idea and making it work on our engines??

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Hydrotoys; 08-22-2008 at 09:02 AM.

+1
    Hey Mark, what did Yamaha do diffrent? I was told that their SC freewheel's when off the throttle? Thats about all i know.

How does the Yami clutch system differ?

While we are on this topic, a way to overdrive these S/C's is another BIG thing we should be looking into. Which there may be a solution that tackles both these issues.

If you're "thinking outside of the box" what about an electric supercharger?

There was an article in Automotive News where one of the biggest makers of car/truck superchargers indicated that they've done some development research and he knows that other companies are working on new designs as well.

Ideally, you could have a switch for the driver to select "Power" or "Touring" and you could re-map the engine computer to have two different modes - one for maximum power with boost and the other for maximum economy without boost.

+1
    Mason,
    good question. It would definately take some power to turn it... arguably the same amount of nM that it takes to drive the same sized unit.

Heck, I don't know guys what Yami did.... yet.

They call it a sprag clutch.

Sounds like that movie with Chuck Norris when he had that bronco with a supercharger on a pto

Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic
    While we are on this topic, a way to overdrive these S/C's is another BIG thing we should be looking into. Which there may be a solution that tackles both these issues.
    But be sure to add onto the complications of overdriving, fan blades and bearings that'll be reliable at 60,000rpms+... then the heat, I bet that goes up exponentially.

+1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch

A sprag is a one-way freewheel clutch used in a number of applications. It resembles a roller bearing with rollers shaped like a figure eight and cocked with a spring. When the unit rotates in one direction, the rollers stand up and bind because of oil friction, and when the unit is rotated in the opposite direction, the rollers slip or freewheel.

A sprag clutch is used in many helicopter designs to transfer power from the engine to the main rotor. In the event of an engine failure, the sprag allows the main rotor to continue rotating so that the helicopter can enter autorotation.

+1
    i was just going to say i said sprag setup like on a bike months ago....jerry agreed, we just need something strong enough to stay together at those rpms

Seems like a much better design, but makes a BOV a necessity, which it should be anyway...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information