Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog

I don't know if it was on the RC forum or here, but the topic that caught my eye one discussing the power and speeds that the RXP were achieving, but at some pretty steep prices. Someone chimed in with a comment about bying a used GP and with a few mods, having a machine that would rival the RXP...

So.......the thread here is, how cheaply and just as importantly, how easily could someone make a true junk yard dog........ buying a used GP, and with some select mod's make a machine capable or running with the big dogs........say 75+ ?

+1
    good question...I guess it would depend on their access to parts/tuners

Search the Fercho/Hibon handing package thread and it will answer alot of your questions. Maybe next year I will be able to answer it from experience

I dont think anybody can get a 75mph with a old gp.. well not without a ton of money in it. I stressed to hit 70 with mine.

+1
    I dont think anybody can get a 75mph with a old gp..
    good save...PWC, you want to start with an older GPR

+1
    Yep, go with a GPR. As far as hitting any given speed (70, 75, 75+), throwing money/parts at it is only HALF the issue. It will require tuning, tinkering, tuning, experimenting, tuning...You get my point. There are people on other boards who disbelieve the speeds some of us achieve because they use some of the same parts we do, but are considerably slower. Learn it, live it, love it, and you will go fast.

+1
    The Kerry/Fercho package is the best to date in the history of GPR's. The package gives you ultimate top speed with full handling which is hard to find on your own. There are lots of ways to just go fast and lots of ways to have a good handling GPR, both to have a formula for both is truely a gift to have. The GPR is the fastest on the planet right now and is also the cheapest boat to get past 70 - 75 - and 80 compared to the cost of getting other PWC Manufactured boats to produce those speeds. Yea, anyone can get almost any boat to go fast, but how much are you willing to pay for that?

Besides, the GPR is one of the best looking boats around these days (design) so 2006 is your last chance to get brand new ones because they are finished producing them (against all our wishes too). But there will be quality used ones available for the next 5 years.

+1
    John,
    While I can appreciate all the enthusiasm with the Kerry kit, you (or anybody) should really should preface that statement with something in regards to recreational riding versus racing.

You put that kit on a closed course with 12 other skis, it will do okay, but it ain't gonna bring home the bacon. To make the gpr hustle around a race course, you really need to lock it down to the water. That is totally seperate world than what we talk about. Think about it. Single grates, 14 vien pumps and mech trim tabs WORK in that other world.

I don't think you will see any race GPR's doing 80 either!

It really depends on what you want out of your ride.

+1
    yea your right - i didn't even mention that, my bad!!

I think you got to say GPR not GP, there is a huge difference in the hulls and no matter how great a GP is, you'll NEVER be ablee to get the top speeds the GPRs are seeing as to what you can get a Junk Yard GP to do and with what amount of money, it all depends in what conditop you've acquired the boat, how many hours and how much rebuilding it needs for it to run as good as new, then you do the appropriate hull mods and kazoom, but your price and performance value will vary greately.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information