Polaris SLX780 display

I have what I consider a unique problem. One that I had never heard of and wanted to share and ask if anyone had seen or done anything like this. I purchased a SLX780 from a gentleman on craigslist that was listed as not running. I figured that with a little work maybe I could have some fun. After getting the ski home, and starting my troubleshooting, and playing with the ski for a while, I noticed that the battery was sitting in the tray backwards with the positive lead connected to the negitive post and the negative lead that was disconnected (I connected it for my initial testing) connected to the positive post. I was funny in that everything seemed to work, but it would not crank. The display worked, the trim motor worked as well as the bilge pump. Seeing the issue, i reversed the leads, and with a little playing the skit ran like a champ. The problem I have now is that the display stays on all the time and the trim does not work now. Has anyone ever seen this. PLease let me know!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rwarren View Post
    ...I noticed that the battery was sitting in the tray backwards with the positive lead connected to the negative post and the negative lead that was disconnected (I connected it for my initial testing) connected to the positive post.
    It was funny in that everything seemed to work, but it would not crank.

The display worked, the trim motor worked as well as the bilge pump. Seeing the issue, I reversed the leads, and with a little playing the ski ran like a champ.

The problem I have now is that the display stays on all the time and the trim does not work now...
    Trim doesn't care about battery polarity, other than when the battery is hooked up backwards, the button will move the trim in the opposite direction normal.

MFD always on - It is normal for the MFD to continue to show the time, and the fuel & oil levels, after it goes to 'sleep'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris MFD type1-2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	90045   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris MFD type1-21.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	90046   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris MFD type1-22.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	90047  

SLX780 Trim Motor and Display

Thank you for the document. It helped a lot in that I had no idea as to how to use the function keys. I will reconnect the battery and wait the 5 mins to see if the display shuts down.
    On the Trim motor issue, when the battery was connected at the wrong polarity, the trim motor worked but when I corrected that, the trim motor did not work. I noticed while riding the ski that it was pointed down, so I reconnected the battery back to the incorrect polarity and the trim worked and I set it to where it was level and the set the polarity back to normal.
    Any ideas as to why the trim works one way but not the other realizing that the trim motor should not care about polarity?

+1
    ... Any ideas as to why the trim works one way but not the other realizing that the trim motor should not care about polarity?
    Trim is only supposed to work when the engine is running.

If you have a bilge pump button, then Trim will also work when the Bilge button is held down.

If it doesn't work when the engine is running, then perhaps the Trim switch on the handlebar is only working in one direction?

or the wiring in the electrical box is incorrect (Orange wires),
    or the LR voltage regulator is toast, and not properly powering the Orange wire when the engine is running.

Trim and display

I have been reading other articals with like issues and you may be correct in that the LR may be bad. After testing everything and getting the display to work, now the display is showing that there is LOPWR even though i know the battery is fine,,it was working at one point then all of a sudden it gave me that error. Where can i find the LR?

+1

Arrow MFD Reset (Multi-Function Display Reset)

I have been reading other articles with like issues and you may be correct in that the LR may be bad.
    After testing everything and getting the display to work, now the display is showing that there is LoPwr even though I know the battery is fine,,it was working at one point then all of a sudden it gave me that error.
    Where can i find the LR?
    The MFD may need to be reset.
    First confirm that the battery voltage is indeed good (see below).

MFD Reset (Multi-Function Display Reset)
    Press and hold the MODE and SET keys until CAL 0000 displays. The CAL display will usually show after 4 seconds
    Press and hold the SET key
    While continuing to hold the SET key and within 2 seconds of pressing the SET key, press and hold the MODE key
    Don't release either key until the MFD shuts down (about ten seconds).
    After the MFD has shut itself down, press the mode key to turn the MFD on
    Depress the MODE key repeatedly until voltage is displayed and verify that the voltage reading has been restored.

Separate from resetting the MFD, you can check the voltage regulator (LR module) by connecting a multi-meter to the battery posts. When the engine is running, the battery voltage should be right around 14.0 volts, give or take, and should remain stable as RPM changes.

12.x volts while the engine is running means the battery charging system is not working. Either the LR module (located inside the electrical box) is bad, or the electrical stator charging coil (inside the flywheel) is bad, or the wiring for them has a problem.
    Last edited by K447; 08-30-2008 at 02:47 PM.

MFD

Thank you for that information. I will do the reset steps this evening and see if that does the trick,,,as well as check the voltage from he battery..

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Check the 3 amp fuse for the trim in the electrical box,it may be blown.
    I think reversing the cables,you'd be feeding the trim from the ground side (bypassing the fuse)and the trim maybe feeding a ground thru somewhere else.

+1
    Thank you for that information. I will do the reset steps this evening and see if that does the trick,,,as well as check the voltage from the battery..
    Check the stopped battery voltage and engine running system voltage before you try resetting the MFD.

Thread Information