Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1985 pontiac firebird

anyone have any experience with them? Ive got a really good deal lined up on one (not a trans am, 2.8L V6)....50k miles

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    3 spd or 4 speed auto?

The 2.8L was a so/so engine. They seemed to have alot of driveability issues. Not very good fuel economy either.

Is this a going to be a A to B car?

Also remeber age can be as bad or worse than odometer mileage. This car could nickle and dime you to the poor house.

yeah im goin to check it out monday...its only going to be a car to work on and have some fun with a friend is selling it for dirt cheap....5 speed manual according to him, he says its been outside all its life but doesnt have structural rust only some surface areas and some sun damage...ill post pics after I check it out

unless your really in love or are board and need something to do, there is nothing exciting about this car...IMHO...

chassis rattles
    2.8 = junk
    5 speed weak, rear weak...

unless your going to gut it, tighten it up and stick in a small block don`t waste your time...

Not olny does it not sound fun but it sounds problematic. Its been outside all its life ? There might not be any rust visibly but trust me its there. I have a 97 Firebird with a 3.8 and i wouldnt suggest buying one to anyone and its runs really good for being 12 years old and 160 grand on the OD. When you want to get a car that old make sure its got at least a V8 prefferably a chevy 350 parts are a dime a dozen.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDevilRXP View Post
    Not olny does it not sound fun but it sounds problematic. Its been outside all its life ? There might not be any rust visibly but trust me its there. I have a 97 Firebird with a 3.8 and i wouldnt suggest buying one to anyone and its runs really good for being 12 years old and 160 grand on the OD. When you want to get a car that old make sure its got at least a V8 prefferably a chevy 350 parts are a dime a dozen.
    The Buick 3.8 V-6(which is what is in you 97) is a far cry form the 2.8 Chevy V-6. The 3.8 is a rugged powerful reliable engine that can return high 20's fuel milage with a proper tune. The 2.8 not much of an engine

Hell, that was my first car, bought it back in '85. Lots of fun back then (except the monthly visits to the service center). Not reliable back then, how could one even start these days? Hope it's a real good deal, because Edmunds says it's not worth more than $200. I think you'd be doing him a favor for taking off his hands for free. (seriously, not trying to be harsh)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Firebird01.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	90130  

+1
    all the haters around here ...geeesh

Psst......( might want to check out my site)

www.Z28.com

not sure if it is a posted offense to post a link to my site, It isnt PWC related so I dont see the harm. If so I apologize and please feel free to remove the link.

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterz View Post
    all the haters around here ...geeesh

Psst......( might want to check out my site)

www.Z28.com

not sure if it is a posted offense to post a link to my site, It isnt PWC related so I dont see the harm. If so I apologize and please feel free to remove the link.
    I have never seen any problems with posted links. Especially when relivent like this

+1
    I'm a member of that site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information