Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Triton Elite Alum double trailer set for RXP/RXT ?'s

I just purchased a nice used Triton Elite alum double trailer for my skis. The trailer is fully adjustable for different skis but it appears the previous owner didnt have it setup right or something.

For some reason my RXP wants to shift while traveling, nothing major but I am not comfortable with it. The RXT bow doesnt seem to hit the front mount on center.

Also there are no rear anchor points on the trailer, how do you tie down the rear of your skis? Right now I have it getto rigged with a motorcycle strap and I can't stand it..lol

Just wondering if anyone has one with an rxp or rxt on it and can possibly take some pics and measurements for me so I can get mine setup correctly, it would greatly be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterz View Post

Also there are no rear anchor points on the trailer, how do you tie down the rear of your skis?
    Use some "Eye-Bolts".. either stainless steel or Cast... just google them and you can find a set cheap, thats what i did. works great

BTW, as far as your ski's Bow not lining up, you can adjust the keel-bar and winch, so its basically a matter of lining it up right.. You will have to back your ski up a little bit, loosen all the hardware, and line it up. when you think it will be Even, tighten it all back up... Its actually fairly easy, hehe

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I just purchased a nice used Triton Elite alum double trailer for my skis. The trailer is fully adjustable...

For some reason my RXP wants to shift while traveling, nothing major but I am not comfortable with it...
    Get down low and look at how the bunks are fitting against the hull. You want the bunk boards to sit between the strakes (ridges) on the bottom of the hull. The wider apart you can set the bunks under the hull, the more stable the PWC will sit. Too wide, and it can be tricky to get the hull centered when re-loading at the launch ramp.

Ask other owners of the same hull what spacing they have between their bunks.

Newer Tritons are adjustable for bunk spacing by loosening the big nut (9/16 wrench) under each bracket, then sliding the brackets in or out as needed. Do NOT have the weight of the ski on the bunks when adjusting them.

Older Tritons are adjustable only by moving the bunk bolt to another slot in the bracket.

Either remove the ski before adjusting the bunks (a PWC cart works well for this), OR adjust and fit the bow roller against the hull nose, winch it snug (but not super tight), then use a garage hydraulic jack and a some wood to lift the rear of the ski, under the ride plate.

Just lift the rear an inch or two, and keep your fingers clear while adjusting the bunks. If the PWC drops suddenly, it will just sit back onto the bunks. This method makes it easier to see where the bunks need to go, rather than sliding the PWC off and on several times as you check the fit.

You can also swap the bunk mounts between upper and lower bolt holes on the brackets, and rotate the brackets in the slots 1/2 turn to get the bunks where they need to be for the best fit to your hull.

Also think about launching and loading at the ramp. Make sure there is enough clearance for the hull center to not touch the trailer cross bars as it angles up/down the bunks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB109447b.JPG 
Views:	346 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	90168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB079419c.jpg 
Views:	468 
Size:	526.9 KB 
ID:	90169  

+1
    ...The RXT bow doesn't seem to hit the front mount on center...
    In addition to getting the bunk spacing correct, you need to make sure the bunks are positioned to center the hull behind the winch + roller.

Once centered, you need to check the tongue weight of the trailer, and adjust it. You want about 7-10% of the total weight of PWC+trailer to be applied to the tow ball.

You adjust tongue weight by moving the winch tower forward, then sliding the PWC forward or back. There are two nuts underneath the trailer that you loosen to allow you to move the winch tower. Once you have the PWC positioned for correct tongue weight, then move the winch tower to meet the hull position, and tighten the nuts underneath.

+1
    Thanks for all the great info, I plan on adjusting the trailer tomorrow!

I have the newer style trailer just as you have pictured.

Some of the information I was looking for was the measurments between the boards for my hulls. I have a RXP on one side and a RXT on the other.

Should the hull nose be winched up snug to the bow roller? I have done this for my first two trips with a double triton trailer and now the roller is slightly flattened where the hull rested. Is this normal?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian411 View Post
    Should the hull nose be winched up snug to the bow roller?
    I have done this for my first two trips with a double Triton trailer and now the roller is slightly flattened where the hull rested. Is this normal?
    Yes, the bow must be snugged against the bow roller when towing.
    The roller does flatten a little, but this is OK, and will partially recover when the pressure is removed.

The entire PWC must be held firmly in position, so it cannot move left/right, up/down, or forwards/backwards.

In some areas, it is a legal requirement to have a second strap or chain holding the bow down, in case the winch strap releases or fails. A good safety tip for every boat trailer, this safety chain doesn't need to be tight, just in place and short enough to prevent the nose from bouncing out of position should the winch strap fail.

Under severe braking, the bow roller and winch strap must hold the nose down and back, so the hull doesn't shift forward on the trailer.

The straps at the rear not only hold the hull down, they also prevent it from bouncing and shifting left-right.

Thank you very much for your response. As this is the first time I am trailering something your comments are very helpful.

+1
    On your bunk brackets you have the three places to put the supports. Dont be afraid to adjust those for a perfect fit. On my FX HO I had to move it to the inside because of the width.

Also it is not uncommon to have the front of the bunks wider or narrower than the rear.

I think my bunks are fine from a width perspective but they are slightly off center from the bow roller. I need to launch the skis and then slide the bunks over about 2 inches for perfect centering.

I just need the weather to improve so I can enjoy these machines. It has been nothing but rain all spring!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information