Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: x/s i/c mod

x/s i/c mod

after looking at the pics of the new gen 2 riva i/c and talking with Vern and engineermike i decided to mod my x/s i/c. (this was Vern's idea) i knew i wanted to do something to make the i/c stay full just had not thought of this particular idea.

i simply drilled a hole in the front top right of the water passage area and then tapped the hole for 1/8 npt. then i ran a hose out the back to a pisser. the goal was to keep the i/c "full" of water. the theory is that the bleed line will get this done by letting all of the air out of the top of the water passage area.

i have done this to two diff stage 3 ski's and gained 50 or more rpm
    i gained a mph on my ski.

check out the pic.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02679.JPG 
Views:	525 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	90142  

+1
    I dont understand how this helps. Does air get caught in the water passage and this causes less performance? I figured all the air would be pushed out as the water is pushed through the IC.

I think its awesome that you were able to gain so much with such a simple mod!

+1
    This is awesome. when you say a pisser out back do you mean you punched a hole in the hull and let the water out though a fitting or did you T into somehwere for the outlet.

Also I was wondering the same how does air get into this IC when the water floods it?

My next question was why not plug the rear hole in the IC, and drill a new hole at the top like you have done for your outlet, to me that would foce it to fill no?

+1
    Awesome, DIGGS.

Air is lighter than water and will only exit when pushed out a high point. As soon as water covers the exit, the air can no longer escape. The water will just flow through while a stagnant bubble of hot air will occupy the top 1/3 of the intercooler. Have you ever seen the glass fuel filters on boats? An air bubble stays in those things because it's not vented to a high-point. The fuel won't push the air through because the air goes to the highest location in the housing. Same concept. It should also reinforce this to know that the X intercooler has a similar high-point bleed.

jamie, if you put the water inlet and outlet both in the front tank of the intercooler, the water will simply bypass the core. There are no baffles in the end tank to force the water into the tubes.

DIGGS, how much speed did you gain with the Riva ECU?

Mike

+1
    =d> =d> =d> =d> =d>

+1
    im glad my IC is built correctly with a divider in the water tank. no need for one of these pisser holes.

wonder if this is why riva had those allen head cap screws in the end caps

+1
    Now thats a good idea

+1
    This thing is a great idea. I am definately doing mine. Just curious where the outlet is hooked to another line on the ski or a new port for the water to exit? Another thing is can we T the inlet to have 2 water sources in filling the IC? Plug the middle and have one at the top and one at the bottom on the fill side?

+1!
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    Now thats a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by turbojamie View Post
    This is awesome. when you say a pisser out back do you mean you punched a hole in the hull and let the water out though a fitting or did you T into somehwere for the outlet.

Also I was wondering the same how does air get into this IC when the water floods it?

My next question was why not plug the rear hole in the IC, and drill a new hole at the top like you have done for your outlet, to me that would foce it to fill no?

I had two pissers out the back with a t feeding them from the j pipe. i just elimianted the t and now have water from the j pipe and water from the i/c going out the back of the ski through the pissers. i used the pissers that jerry sells in the online store. i elimianted the tow hook and just the existiing holes where the hook was.

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information