+1

Fresh water cooling system pressure MSX150

Good day guys,what sort of pressure does the fresh water cooling system see. I am chasing water in the oil (a bit milky under the cap) and a couple of droplets. The closed coolant system seems ok (holding pressure and no apparent loss of coolant) I have pressurised the oil tank (water side) to 30 psi and holding.

Thanyou

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Good day guys,what sort of pressure does the fresh water cooling system see. I am chasing water in the oil (a bit milky under the cap) and a couple of droplets. The closed coolant system seems ok (holding pressure and no apparent loss of coolant) I have pressurised the oil tank (water side) to 30 psi and holding.

Thanyou
    There is a design problem in the oil circuit of all MSX110 and MSX150. The oil cyclone (picture below) that attaches to the oil tank has a small vent hole on top. This vent hole positively allows water to enter the oil circuit if your bilge is not completely dry. Worst case scenario is if you have a lot of water in your bilge and it gets sprayed all over the engine compartment by the rotating shaft.

It is interresting to note that Weber has updated the oil cyclone since 2004 and newer models do not have this vent hole. Simple fix.... block it or install a nipple and run a hose line where no water ingestion will be possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyclone msx.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	90170  

Hmmmm I was under the impression that was a vent hole for the cyclone was to help with to much oil pressure. I broke one of these a month ago and it still had the vent hole in it. Is there a new change since then. And how would water spash off the driveshaft there is a black cover over it.....Bildge lines plugged up. What have you got going on with your ski?

being that your oil tank is metal and water is cold you will get condesation onthe top of the tank by the dip stick hole. Just like and old Ford. when you would pull the oil fill cap you would see the same effect. Unless the oil on the end of the dipstick is white. what you are seeing is normal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 4stroker View Post
    Hmmmm I was under the impression that was a vent hole for the cyclone was to help with to much oil pressure. I broke one of these a month ago and it still had the vent hole in it. Is there a new change since then. And how would water spash off the driveshaft there is a black cover over it.....Bildge lines plugged up. What have you got going on with your ski?
    Well........ I learned this the hard way last year.....

One day, after a 2 hour ride I realized something was wrong with my ski.... there was a water leak at the exhaust manifold. The leak was significant to a point where the bilge became filled with at least 6 inches of water... When I removed the seat while the engine was running water was spraying all over because of the rotating shaft.... I mean all over! Came back home, found the problem, fixed it. Then what? I realized my oil was milky and had a lot of water in it. Searched for the cause and determined the entry point was the vent hole in the cyclone. I fixed this issue and never had an problem after.

The cyclone has nothing to do with oil pressure. Its main purpose is to act as the first gateway where vaporized oil returns to a liquid state and is routed back into the crankcase. Not 100% of oil vapor emmission is condensed into liquid oil and returned to the cranckcase, part of it is routed from the cyclone into the turbo intake airbox... to finally be burned by the engine. In its journey into the intake components, the remaining oil vapor residues unfortunatelly contaminate the turbo compressor housing & impeller, the intercooler and the 2 MAP sensors.... we all know about this other oil contamination problem.

By design, the cyclone circuit is operating at atmospheric pressure... it is an open venting system that allows the crankcase to also operate at 1 atm. The vent hole is in the same circuit as the 1/2" line that feed the intake airbox.... its overall contribution to the venting cfm is marginal because of its limited diameter (around 3/16"). The cyclones used by Weber on all turbocharged snowmobile applications do not have this vent hole... they are PN 2520541. The MSX110/150 cyclones are older models which are PN 0451446.... this is probably what you ordered and got... with the extra (and probematic) vent hole.

+1
    Thankyou very much for the feed back, i am aware of the hole in the cyclone, my other MSX 150 had the drive shaft support bearing come loose (my fault - not checked during overhaul) it is amazing how it still got me back to shore full of water. Anyway i did not check the oil until another run where i discovered that the oil had been contaminated. Changed oil,flushed tank- problem gone. The breathers on both my 150's look like they were never connected to the air cleaner(for all the obvious reasons) which means no assistance to draw on blowby just the normal pumping action. I am working on a 110 that still had its breather line connected (did this miss a recall?)
    I will monitor the amount of contamination, the hull is dry. I will have to set up a temp gauge to ensure correct engine operating temp if i can find no other reason.

Thankyou for the feedback, although a do not comment i do monitor and enjoy this site it is certainly the place that has a great depth of knowledge.

Cheers

Thread Information