1996 1100 waveventure backfires out the exhaust

The last time i took it out it was hesitating on take off. so i brought it home and adjusted the lows out 1/8 turn. Now It will start right up and idle but when i give it gas it will backfire real bad out the exhaust. I turned lows back to where they were and it still does it. what could be doing this?

+1
    It could be reeds. It could be a needle & seat letting too much fuel in and it is not able to effectively burn that much fuel. Unburned fuel will ignite in a hot exhaust. A lean mixture usually backfires in the intake (through the carbs). Having said this, there are other things to check. Make sure the hose that connects the pipe to the water box is tight, also the hose from the water box to the exit flange is tight and there are no pinholes in these rubber hoses. Loose connection or pinholes would allow air into these areas creating a lean mixture of the outgoing exhaust and could cause a pop.

Thanks, The first time it backfired it blew a rubber hose off. I guess i didn't get it on tight enough. I hope this is what it is

I deceided to take everything apart just incase. Checked the reeds. They looked great. I took the carbs apart also. cleaned and adjusted them. they looked great also.

When you checked your reeds was there a gap between the reed and the cage?

No, the reeds were all flat against the cage. I am or was going to put it all back together today. Is there something else i should look for before i do. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by jdebold; 08-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.

+1
    We fought a simular prob on 96 1100 venture, it was a broken wire on the pulser coil under the flywheel in the engine. It would cut spark intermittenly, backfiring when it started firing again, a real pain. You might try looking at the plugs, the wet one would be the one not firing all the time. Look at the spark with the plug laying against the head(away from plug hole or you will singe your hair). This broken wire looked ok on the outside, was broken under the wire jacket. a meter showed it was bad, so before I ordered a new one, thought I would try pulling on the wires, one wire just pulled apart and the insulation stretched untill it broke too. Soldered the wire to together and saved the cost and wait for a pulser coil.

From what you're saying here, I'm guessing there are 3 separate pulser coils?
    ( I havent had the flywheel off of mine in over a year)

Was the wire that pulled apart down by the stator?

I'll def check this out on my ski, but I remember all of the plugs being pretty wet when I removed them. So I think I have a leaky n/s

I'm having a similar situation with my ski, not trying to hijack

+1
    There are 3 ignition coils, and a pulser coil behind the magneto cover. It is common for the wires to break behind the spark plug cap. Trim back until you get good wire. The ignition coils are located at the electrical box (the plug wires start at the ignition coils). You can order the carb rebuilt kits from the online store here on the forum through Riva. I recommend only using Mikuni kits, not WSM or another $cheaper$ brand.

Thread Information