97 sea-doo gsi HELP !!!!

Hello to everyone I'm new, We have a 97 gsi and when we first got it the jetski would surge at top end. meaning go to 6800rpm, then drop to 3800-4200rpm continuosly, up and down, holding the throttle wide open, then eventually would just stay bogged at 3800rpm or little more, give or take few hundred rpms. I took to dealership and had them go over it at end of year and they replaced fuel valve, carb rebuild, intake grate, sponson, and lines. $800.00 later it ran great. This year took it out twice, ran good the first time, second time, doing same thing again. Called dealership back, now they don't work on anything older than a 2000 model year. So I bought a manual and started to eliminate some things, cleaned fuel filter, and the 1 in the carb, checked fuel pump, cracked lines, cleaned waterbox out, compression check, new fuel 93octane, and added stabilizer. It starts right up, and accelerates great, but runs poorly at top-end again. Its my fathers ski, and he works all the time in the construction field, and really enjoys riding on the lake when he can. I can see the frustration and dissapointment on his face when it dosen't run right. I am trying to work through this but am lost now on what to do to get it running right. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

PLEASE !

+1
    Sounds fuel related to me. What do the plugs look like ? Try loosening the gas cap when it bogs, if the tank vent is plugged it will not allow air into the tank. Also try switching to res when it bogs, if the fuel selector is plugged it will restrict flow. You mentioned it has a new fuel selector but start with the easy and simple stuff, it's just a process of elimination. Check the gasket on the fuel strainer under the hood, if it's not sealing properly it will allow an air leak into the fuel line. Also don't hold it at WOT when it bogs as it may be running lean and doing damage.

+1
    Another thing to check is the condition of the pulse line going from the engine block to the fuel pump on the carb. It should have been replaced when all the fuel lines were done.

Thank you, I'm headed out to the garage to check all that now, and hopefully get it going today. Your right I think its fuel related too. Do these things have a maintenance interval that maybe throws them in a limp mode ?? It has a 103hrs on it and did'nt know if it was at 100hr. maintenance reset ? but it dosen't seem that new and advanced to me to throw codes like that, but I'm not a sea-doo mechanic obviosuoly. Thanks again.

97 sea-doo gsi HELP !!!!

ultra150JCT,,

I have exactly the same problem with my 1997 GSi...
    I heard many people say the same thing...

Did you eventually find a fix for the problem?

Very frustrating... Does anyone have a fix for the the jetski surge at top end. meaning go to 6800rpm, then drop to 3800-4200rpm continuosly, up and down, holding the throttle wide open, then eventually would just stay bogged at 3800rpm or little more, give or take few hundred rpms.

+1
    Calgary

I replied to your PM.

Start a new thread and list all of your symptoms and what you have tried, there are a lot of good two stroke nuts on here that can and will help.

Thread Information