Many questions about sportster 4 tech jet boat. PLEASE help!

I purchased a 2004 sportster 4 tech 15 foot normally asperated (water damaged) jet boat.

#1 Is it possable to bypass the saftey switch?

I have gotten water out of the exhaust chambers but not removed the manifold. when I spin the motor without the plugs in the pistons seem fine,and the valves seem to be sealing well ,I had soaked both for a couple of days after removing the water. There doesnt seem to be water going to the bottom end. Question: once I reasemble the intake and spin motor under compresion will the small amount of water be blown out the exhaust or will it be sucked into the pistons?

The electrics(connections) and such don't seem to be curroded very badly, any input? Salt water.

The hull is damaged ( the boat sat on the rocks for a while in a bad storm) I have a buddy with a body shop and his guys say the can re glass it (NO PROBLEM) any cautions?

#5 The most important question of all!! Is all this worth it?
    A little info to help answer that.
    1. I paid very little for the boat.
    2. it had 10 hours on it when it went down.(it was'nt running) when submerged.
    3. I'ts got the waterskiing tower and bimini top.
    4. I need to buy a trailor.

Any responses would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

The ski's have taken a "backseat" to the Corvette DarthAWM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NOB View Post
    I purchased a 2004 sportster 4 tech 15 foot normally asperated (water damaged) jet boat.

#1 Is it possable to bypass the saftey switch?

I have gotten water out of the exhaust chambers but not removed the manifold. when I spin the motor without the plugs in the pistons seem fine,and the valves seem to be sealing well ,I had soaked both for a couple of days after removing the water. There doesnt seem to be water going to the bottom end. Question: once I reasemble the intake and spin motor under compresion will the small amount of water be blown out the exhaust or will it be sucked into the pistons?

The electrics(connections) and such don't seem to be curroded very badly, any input? Salt water.

The hull is damaged ( the boat sat on the rocks for a while in a bad storm) I have a buddy with a body shop and his guys say the can re glass it (NO PROBLEM) any cautions?

#5 The most important question of all!! Is all this worth it?

First off did anyone try to start the boat after it was submerged and before you pulled the sprak plugs? If so this could have bent a rod and can kill the engine. If you have the water out of the engine you should be fine on firing it up.

By safety switch do you mean the DESS lanyard?(item 13 in the parts breakdown)http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=139&B=28

The electronics will depend on time of exposure to a salt water you will always have that risk with a submerged vessel.

The only caution I have on reglassng the hull is that it is structural where as most automotive fiberglass panels are not.

Is it worth it? Depends on if you want the boat it should come out resonably fine, Sea Doo has plenty of experience with engines and electronics that can become submerged, from the jet skis and most components are shared.

Connections

With regards to the connections and loom i would make it a priority to remove all connections and spray lots of sea-doo lube into them to prevent any further corrosion.

+1
    my .02 would be to wash everything down with fresh water thoroughly and then spray with a water displacing lube like wd40 ro sea doo lube.
    cleam insides of boxes behind panels etc.
    engine needs to be run, but as darth daid was it already cranked with water in it??
    you gotta check the oil level and color especially after you get it running.
    how long did it sit with salt water in it, after it was salvaged??
    under water was fine, but once brought up the air is what causes corrosion/damage
    if it was washed and cleaned the first day after salvage, and dried out and started ASAP, oil changed a few times then it is well on the way to a full recovery, but if it sat wet and salty for a week while it dried out, you gotta expect internals of engine to be damaged, might run fine for a while but bearings etc will go sooner not later.
    fiberglass work?? post a few pics, its probably not damaged enough to be structural, any good repair shop should be able to fix it up like new, however make sure they have done work on boats before, aka are familiar with gelcoat vs. paint finishing etc...

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by NOB View Post

#1 Is it possable to bypass the saftey switch? Yes

I have gotten water out of the exhaust chambers but not removed the manifold. when I spin the motor without the plugs in the pistons seem fine,and the valves seem to be sealing well ,I had soaked both for a couple of days after removing the water. There doesnt seem to be water going to the bottom end. Question: once I reasemble the intake and spin motor under compresion will the small amount of water be blown out the exhaust or will it be sucked into the pistons? Pull your air intake and make sure there's no water in the hoses

The electrics(connections) and such don't seem to be curroded very badly, any input? Salt water. Like Lex said wash it down and use some type of electical diode spray or WD40

The hull is damaged ( the boat sat on the rocks for a while in a bad storm) I have a buddy with a body shop and his guys say the can re glass it (NO PROBLEM) any cautions? Make sure he does a good job, it's not tommorrow you have to worry about, it's a year down the road.

#5 The most important question of all!! Is all this worth it?Depends on how cheap you got it and how mechaniclly inclined you are.

I've sunk plenty of ski boats in my time and fix most of them, always had a problem with starters and alternators. Spray everything down with some kind of silicone!!

Good luck!!

Alex

Thread Information