Rave Valves and O-rings

I cleaned my rave valves for the first time ever last month (what......it should be done more than once every 12 years?? lol). They had build-up, but were not near as bad as many photos I have seen on this site. I cleaned them, put them back together with new gaskets, and took the ski on a trip to Lake Powell. Everything ran great, but I did continue to have some oil leakage from the base of the rave valve mount.

2 possibilities:

1) do I need to RTV the gaskets? I just placed them over the round guides

2) I forgot to get new o-rings, and the existing ones are original and hard as a rock (more likely problem using my feeble mind).

I ran down to Ace Hardware, and matched up the o-rings. What I came up with is 5/8 X 7/16 X 3/32 #9 o-ring. It looks and fits like the original, with the exception of being pliable. It fits around the shaft of the rave valve fine, but is not SNUG (neither is the original) against the shaft. Is that right, or does the o-ring need to have a tight fit on the shaft? Please forego any sexual innuendos here.

Also, I have read that the rave valves changed after my year model and that I am flirting with disaster if I don't replace them with the new style. Is this accurate? I have had these valves (photos attached) since new (12 years); do they look bad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raves Top.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	90196   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rave Bottom.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	90197  

When I had to purchase a replacement O-ring from the SeaDoo Dealer for my '01 RX-DI I was surprised at how expensive it was. I was thinking about just going to the hardware store but then I remembered how hot the RAVE valves get. I decided to pay the money and get the BRP O-ring.

My guess is that the rubber O-rings that you bought from the hardware store have melted and that's the cause of your oil leak.

Concerning the need to replace RAVE valves, I've never heard of that - perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in?

96 xp stroked, coffmans pipe, r&d 61.8mph gps! merfturtle's Avatar
    There was an issue with rave valves breaking. I think it was on 95 800 models and I believe it was fixed with in the 96 800. The newer valves have 352 on them. I think thats the number

I have not used the new o-rings yet, so no, they have not melted. I doubt there is anything different about the SeaDoo o-rings than the price, but I could be wrong.

My question has to do with the fit of the o-ring on the stem of the rave valve. The old o-rings (original) are hard as a rock, and do not fit snugly to the stem. I found the same size o-ring at Ace......it is pliable, but does not fit snugly to stem. I know o-rings harden over time, but do they increase in size? Bottom line: do I want an o-ring that fits loose like the existing o-rings, or one that fits snugly on the stem? Logic would suggest a snug fit.

With respect to the rave valves, I have read that the newer ones are slotted on the sides. Mine are not ('96 XP). I am curious as to how critical it is that I replace them with the newer style. My raves DO have "352" on them, but they are not slotted.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The orings don't have to be snug. They act as a stopper and sealer, so most definitely replace them when they get brittle!

Gaskets don't need sealer, it's coming from the bellows.

Next...what numbers are on your valves? I can't quite make it out...pic is just a tad bit too small. 352? If so they are ok. But...your shafts look worn. This allows the RAVE to vibrate when open and allows the bellows to leak oil, making the mess dripping down your cylinders. I'd replace them and the housings (what the RAVE shaft slides in) if they still leak oil after oring and bellow replacement.

Are your RAVE bellows red or green? If red replace.

I think I had the wrong size o-ring. I went back to Ace and found something that looks more similar to what I have, and it is a much better fit on the stem.

The numbers on the rave valves are 352; so I'm OK, other than they are a bit worn? The valves fit pretty snugly into the housings; the openings are not "egg shaped" or anything like that. Still a good idea to replace, or only if there is a bit of space between them and the valves?

My bellows look orange to me. Maybe they were red 12 years ago....who knows? But they are definitely not the green ones I have seen. Are the green bellows better? Or is it merely a wear item that should be replaced over time?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    I think I had the wrong size o-ring. I went back to Ace and found something that looks more similar to what I have, and it is a much better fit on the stem.

The numbers on the rave valves are 352; so I'm OK, other than they are a bit worn? The valves fit pretty snugly into the housings; the openings are not "egg shaped" or anything like that. Still a good idea to replace, or only if there is a bit of space between them and the valves?

My bellows look orange to me. Maybe they were red 12 years ago....who knows? But they are definitely not the green ones I have seen. Are the green bellows better? Or is it merely a wear item that should be replaced over time?
    It's a combination wear item and designed replacement. The green bellows are a bit stiffer, and less prone to blowing off. And leaking!

Replace them and see if it still leaks oil, as your RAVES have very little wear on the blades.

Thread Information